Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2015, 03:07 AM   #41
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Freddi, which did you like best, L Cao or the Fane ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 13th March 2015, 04:33 AM   #42
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

That'd be an apples to oranges comparison.

a 6.5" no whizzer against a double whizzered 12.
A 12" has what, 4 times the cone area ?

I do like the paper cone in the fane, some are unliking kevlar / paper mixtures.

Norman
Old 13th March 2015, 09:35 AM   #43
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

with some hd595, you can hear good voice, and a bit of lift past 1khz, and way up too.
FANE 12-250tc FULL RANGERS - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 11
good bump, not much thump (below 100hz).

Should be real fun for not much money !!!!!!
Old 13th March 2015, 12:56 PM   #44
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

hi Bigun - - like them both for different reasons and would depend upon how each were loaded. The Fane will of course move more air and has an overall likable and wide range character - it has the highs missing from 12LTA - L.Cao is a small driver but a bit larger Sd than an Alpair12 - with beautiful midrange and probably smoother sounding highs than the Fane. I would guess the Fane to be a good choice all by itself for open baffle for larger rooms.

it will be good to have Norman's feedback - although there was no bass with the Fane stuffed into a Karlson12 with vent damped with bonded Dacron, I noticed it got some toe-tapping going. Don't know how it would do without the Karlson cavity and aperture. I need to make some 15" to 12 and 10" adapters for my only sturdy & handy single reflex box - RCA Fan's "V-vent"

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 13th March 2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 13th March 2015, 03:26 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
... L.Cao is a small driver but a bit larger Sd than an Alpair12 - with beautiful midrange and probably smoother sounding highs than the Fane.
Thanks Freddi - this is helpful.

And your comment is consistent with a comment I read from Nelson about the L Cao. My ears do appreciate smooth highs for long-time listening - I discovered from my experience with a Fostex driver that I like their 'presence' but it isn't something I can listen to for long periods.

I don't suppose you've heard the L Cao 8" in comparison with the Fane (a bit closer in Sd) ?

You also mentioned the A12 - is this a driver you have auditioned too ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 13th March 2015, 03:48 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

no exper.ience with A12 -its tempting. no experience with L.Cao 8s - its said the alnico version is "soft" on top. I think the ferrite 8 is out of production (?)
Old 13th March 2015, 08:31 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

I haven't seen anybody talk about a ceramic L Cao 8 so perhaps they are no-more. Your comments on the L Cao 6.5" were with ceramic not AlNiCo ?

The A12 is an unknown to me too but I've been interested in it since hearing the A10.3 - I would have liked to see a larger driver from MA something in the 6"+ category (A12 is smaller than 6") hence my interest in what people are saying about the Fane.
Old 13th March 2015, 08:52 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

yeah - F6 has a ferrite motor - alnico can go either way from good to not so good. I have EV SP12 with the big iron pot alnico motor and never thought anything special in their "tone".
Old 16th March 2015, 05:00 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

got a 2'x4' piece of plywood - without resorting to software, what's a good position for a single 12" speaker with the 4' dimension vertical? - could add a helper woofer

hey Norman - get your Fane yet?
Old 16th March 2015, 05:19 PM   #50
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I would have liked to see a larger driver from MA something in the 6"+ category (A12 is smaller than 6")
Hi Bigun,

According to specss on Madisound, The MA A12 has SD of 147cm^2 which is similar to 6.5" -7" drivers...

New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TCHide this!Advertise here!