Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2018, 09:59 AM   #421
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

3.5 is pretty good - seems like any more and things might "gargle" with a sustained low frequency note (?) its a physically tough driver and will move further than 3.5mm without damage or bottoming out. (and in free air)
Old 4th June 2018, 11:44 AM   #422
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

00940:
I am not at all concerned about below 25hz behaviour, I analyzed most of my music collection some years back, most "bass heavy" music had little under 35hz, good piano recordings had some content to 26-27hz, a few church organ recordings went lower, but not many.
Might be a different story for movies.
It's a slot port on that sim.

Freddi:
Yes 3,5mm is very good, these things seem to be well put together, so to speak.
Old 5th June 2018, 11:47 PM   #423
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Fane has a typo I think in their 250TC sheet. They list Le=1.56mH and assuming the numbers are correct, Le is probably "0.156" mH
Old 5th October 2018, 04:07 PM   #424
thimios is offline thimios  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocents View Post
I am new to speaker building and looking for full range speakers for my newly built ACA (6 W) amp. I spent hours and days the past months researching suitable FAST solutions, but there are just too many options and other things involved. I have now reached a point where I would rather like to try a single full range driver box - simple and (hopefully) sweet. Even here are many options, but working within my constraints (smallish footprint floor standers with high sensitivity drivers), the Fane 12 intrigues me.

These Fane FR (12 and 15) drivers seem to have a devout following here, and probably for a reason. I see Fane recommends 30 to 75 Litre sealed enclosures for the 12 drivers. It would be simple to make a sealed box within those parameters and even one with a relatively small footprint. However as a complete novice I have some questions:
- Will any box within the 30 to 75 litres sound great? Bigger is probably better here too?
- Does the shape matter? Can I make the front baffle as narrow as practically possible (say 34cm) and simple adjust the depth and height until I get a suitable target volume?
- What I am most concerned about is the bass. Will I get satisfactory bass here for music (not HT) without a sub? I know this is very undefined and speculative, but will the bass compare to other single driver enclosures like the Frugal Horns or Pensils for eg? Steve's graphs above seems to indicate some good bass down to 40Hz, but I am not good at interpreting these graphs. Still learning.

I am missing something here, because it just seems too simple compared to other speaker builds.
Any update to your Fane 12" speaker box?
Old 6th October 2018, 10:32 AM   #425
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thimios View Post
Any update to your Fane 12" speaker box?
Sorry thimios, I never pursued this option, although I would still love to one day maybe. My problem is floor space and for now I will settle for slim floor standers (MLTL) with Alpair 10.3 drivers.

New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TCHide this!Advertise here!