New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

Hope others got a fane.

Mcm says they're on back order for 97 days !!!!!!!!!!

Mine is in the mail.

I'm thinking 3ft3 sealed under TV (1:1.618 ratios) as center channel.
Then I can bring out and hook up my sub, but have to remove thiel and double 15's.
If agreeable (with notch), invest in 2 more and get an outlaw audio preamp.

Last edited:
Lol, been reading yours and Nigel's.
I'd like Godzilla to play with one too, but he has a 12lta.
I remember poultrygheist preferred 12lta to 1808.

I wonder if I would have kept my Philips 12" if I tried it as a center.

Fane just seems fun bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Hmm.

I remember Dolby digital sounded really glassy way up there sometimes.
The celestion 200tc died past 8khz ( like the fane 200lt), I thought that'd work for home theater rolling up there.
I almost got the cele with its box friendlier qts.

Fane 250tc haaaaaaasssssss to have a shorting ring.
And paper cones seem unoffensive to my ears.
Some people's ears don't like Kevlar/paper cones.

I'm glad we have some 12" full ranges choices for under $100.
Any of these could become a classic.

Norman

Last edited:
A question about a similar driver the Eminence Beta 12 Lta. Having read up on phase plugs I noted most people seem to get good results regardless of the device shape. As a crude attempt to see what might happen I held various objects as close to the dust cap as I could. Despite being very close some difference could be detected and one or two seemed nicer. Perhaps a cylinder supported from the front very nearly hitting the dust cap can work? My crude trials seemed to show even when 1" from the cap something positive was going on. It seems when close to the driver the wizzer front edge is mostly helped. The baffle is 2' x 4'. It is half MDF and half ply made from 2' x 4' x 1/2" sheets.

I am dubious about removing the dust cap as I don't see a vented magnet and low movement as a cause of nonlinearity. If memory is correct a dust cap also reduces IM distortion ? I have 3 foam rubber dampers to the wizzer.

One thing I did try was a low mass baffle( polystyrene ). It seemed not to return energy to the cone in the same way. The sound seemed better. Highly impractical alas.

I think a phase plug disperses highs from bouncing around the inside of the whizzer.
I'd like to install one, but not until I have a few in case of ruining it.
You could loosely attach felt onto the dust cap, or older altecs had a hole in the dust cap.

I assume the dust cap can produce some highs, but can be a liability when the highs get trapped under it. Looking at pictures, it looks like a vented pole piece ( the backside).