New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

Thanks waxx, not a cheap solution. :(
BTW, is it something that you can share?

No, it's a paid design, and i don't share those, also because of the contract with the owner...

And drivers with that kind of efficiency that go low will never be cheap i suppose. It's a 200€ driver here, wich is rather normal for an 18" quality driver, it's even on the cheaper side if you compare it with a lot of others.

Last edited:
I didn't try it but35Hz for HiFi use is very low. 250W and the SPL is high, the maximum excursion is 3,5mm..

And 35Hz for hifi is not that low, most target 30Hz for a real fullrange hifi system, and 20Hz for a HT system. It's not because bookshelfs cut of at 60 that that is the standard.

And this driver on low power (10w is very loud on these for hifi) in a sealed 150L cabinet you also get a response to 45Hz (F6) and a volume at 10w of 104dB. That is good enough for most actually. 80L sealed gives a response to 50Hz btw.

But I like a solid deep bass so i would port it and tune it to 35Hz (wich will give an F3 of 30hz) in a 250L cabinet with a 20x5.3cm slot port of 18mm deep (so effective just a hole in the baffle of 18mm ply). Power it with a low power SET or class A amp of 8 to 16w and you got a good oldskool system that easely get 102dB or more without stressing the driver or go over excursion. The max excursion in this alignment and with this kind of amp will be about 3mm say simulations...

Thank you for your help.
I do agree that optimal sound would be a 250L which is large.

I did try calculating this on several ways to try to find it in lower volume but...
This is a simple speaker with very good quality and not expensif.

How would you compare the sound results with a 2way Caplamos type setup which has aprox same volume? (Caplamos is much more epensive) Its a BassReflex with a 15' crossed at 650Hz and a 2inch compression driver with beradial horn

The Calpamos is a whole different type of speaker, it's a 2 way with a horn top, more like the Altec Vott/Kiplish Scala type of speaker. Not point source and with a crossover. So that one is more like a modern multiway speaker i think, while the Fane in a big cabinet is a rather typical fullrange driver, but bigger and more efficient than most. So Point-source (one point of wich the sound comes) and no crossover means a more seamingless sound with no brute phase shifts like many multiways have. The Calpamos is also 6dB less efficient (so need 4x the power to go as loud as the fane) where the Fane needs 4w to get to +102dB, the Calpamos need 16w.