Anyone try the Faital Pro 4FE32 or 3FE22?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That would make for a very sensitive line array probably in the 100dB/w sensitivity range.

Indeed! I'm not sure how to go about confirming sensitivity but with 24 drivers per side (floor to ceiling) they are quite efficient. The bass response surprised me and mounted in the corners (as I have them) in room response reaches 30Hz with a mild (3dB) shelf below 100Hz although I'm currently crossing them to subs at 60Hz.

I have some 4FE32 as surround speakers but I'm not convinced they are paper cones?

24! now we're cooking!
You can really only determine line sensitivity by measuring, you can guess well for 2 or 4 but after 8 there seems to be a natural sensitivity level that you can't exceed no matter how many more drivers you pile on, and it seems to depend on the driver but I'm guessing that it probably depends on the driver diameter, 100dB/w/1m seem like a good guess.

How did you wire them? what are you using to drive them?

[QUOTE How did you wire them? what are you using to drive them?[/QUOTE]

I work in pro audio so much of my system comes from that background. Each channel is divided into 2x12 driver lines. Every 3 drivers are wires in series and share a chamber then these are paralleled to give me 2x6ohm loads that I drive from my Chevin Q6 amplifiers. So each L&R is driven from two amplifier channels. Lots of power available but this is limited to prevent driver damage!

The floor to ceiling arrays have virtually eliminated a 200Hz room mode that I was always fighting with point source speakers and overall response is much smoother..

An impregnated fibre cone is a kind of composite, I suppose. To my admittedly subjective ear, my 4" Faital FR has less of the classic paper sound, that I like, than the JBLLE5-6. But in my application-as a 3 octave mid-it seems much easier to work with than the old JBL, which has a very dramatic rise above 3500hz.

If (impregnated) cone damping is helping calm breakup that otherwise might be there in the low treble area, it is a worthwhile trade-off. Full range enthusiasts have long modified paper cone drivers with coatings anyway.

One interesting thing is that I have these in 1.25" deep wave guides made with a 1"radius round over bit in wood. Not sure yet how that affects the FR, but Bud P. said-in a casual context- that wave guides can do some similar wave control as EnABL.

I had a Fostex fe126e in this same baffle previously, and I thought that it made it more coherent.

I think that I will leave the Faital in the open baffle and run them full range for purpose of break-in, then I will get an idea of what they sound like FR, minus most of the content below 150hz or so, I suppose.

I recently tested the 4FE32 and found the distortion performance was rather unacceptable. Results posted on another forum, link below:
small midrange shootout: Faital Pro 4FE32 and ScanSpeak 10F4424G00

I was hoping to use it as a midrange, but... I decided to use another (larger) driver instead.

I have a pair, used only for this testing, that I would be happy to sell you for half price...
hey you all,

i just set 3 fe 22 as main fullrange home speakers with a sub.
they are full range indeed but they have annoying heights distorsion in the range of 3000 to 7000 hz.
so i used in paralel a 20 ohm reistor, and 1 mH coil and put both in series with the driver.
this makes a gap in the range mentioned before and rises heights above 10000 hz.

I do not do frequency response but I have very sensitive ears...
I used as boxes regular pvc tube sch 80 and they point upwards.this gives me an amazing stage.
any thoughts?

The 3 inch neo magnet ones are good right out of the box, haven't tried the ceramic ones yet. I have treated the dust cap and cone neck with 25% elmers glue mixed with water to stiffen it up. The outer portions og the Cone I have treated with thinned modpodge. Damar varnish may be a good option too, but I haven't tried it on the fatials yet. Then of course enabl pattern applied on the cone.

Hi guys

I am considering the following and need some opinion:
I want to use a 3FE22 and a 4FE32 in parallel, with baffle step being applied to the 4FE32. They will be used from 200Hz and up, no tweeter. Will this work or would I be better off just using two 3FE22 drivers in parallel (baffle step on one of them)?

Thank,
Deon

PS. I might add a tweeter later on, but right now it is not really an option.

I cannot answer your question. But I have heard Skylar88's dual 3FE25 (16 Ohm) Karlsonators and they sound superb. Amazing clarity, detail, presence and huge soundstage (with the right amp). You will not need tweeters using these drivers. In fact, Skylar88 used baffle steps to tame the highs initially, but after the drivers were run in properly he removed the baffle steps. Details start here. Note the first post refers to 3FE22, but it should read 3FE25:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Deon,
What cabinet are you using them in? Sealed perhaps as you say 200Hz and above. I would just use two of the 3FE22 in parallel as no advantage to 4FE32 if above 200Hz. I would apply baffle step to both and use 16ohms in parallel. If cabinet volume is not an issue, use 3FE25-16 and save money. Only advantage of 3FE22 is smaller Vas. Sound wise, the ceramic magnet 3FE25 is quite superb.

I had an application where I needed compact volume and used 4x 3FE22-8 in series parallel. It is loud like a PA speaker at about 97dB/1w and can handle lots of power.

I made a pair of BR for my kitchen 2.1. Very bright but pleasant. Really difficult to mount with a tiny lip and the magnet is almost the same width as the cut out hole. Both my dust caps are off centre too.

Having said that tho, they were cheap, sensitive and come with gasket foam already adhered. Might rebox them at some point.

Hi DIYers! Sorry to bring an old topic out but I'm considering buying two 4FE32s myself and I wonder with what kind of cabinet designs did you guys come up with? My use would be a use in a boombox, for outdoors obviously but I'm worried about its 0.6 Qts value since drivers with such high Qts values require large cabinets. At least to my knowledge.

Br, Nino
Well yes, it does need a large box, but only relative to it's vas. These speakers have a very small vas (2 litres). The calculator I looked at gave a net box volume of only 4.14 litres for an f3 of 67.5 Hz.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is my new 0.53x Karlsonator that uses a pair of 3FE25-16ohm in parallel. Sounds great.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-296.html#post5577990

attachment.php

attachment.php

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That’s a 4U Dissipante amp case from DIYA store with UMS spec pre-tapped holes on the heatsinks. I use it as a development case for my amps. The PSU and Cade are rather fixed (although PSU changes too). Currently, the Pass M2 is in there. Amps that have been mounted in there so far include: Pass Aleph J, Zen Mod’s Babelfish J, Alpha 20, Apex FX8 Bimo mod biased to Class A, and Pass M2.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.