Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tang-band-w5-2143-5-paper-cone-full-range-driver-8.jpg

While true, that was written when there was only FH3. As with the CHN110 in the FHXL (works well) it would really be better in Joan.

Perhaps Scott can do a quicjk sim and suggest whether FH3 or FHXL would be a better fit.

I still have a pair of the 4” version of these kicking around wanting to find a home (cheap)

dave

I am starting to get materials and whatnot together for my FHXL build. Could someone help me a little bit in understanding the stuffing call-outs in the build plans? For reference, I will be using A10p drivers (which were challenging to find, but I ultimately ordered from KJF Audio after accepting that I'd have to accept the unfortunate overseas shipping cost if I wanted them!).

1) For the rear "wedge" internal chamber, there seem to be two differing stuffing "zones", green and orange. My interpretation is that this calls for 60g of stuffing per enclosure in this area, all of it teased-out uniformly at first; compressed in as one gets closer to the internal point, and teased apart furthest up at the open top portion where it is shown as green. Correct?

2) The front "adjustable" portion calls for 80g of stuffing nominally, with a dependence on the driver. What have users of A10p's found to be a good setting here?

I am taking photos of my build as I get going, and I will be sure to post about it once I have made a bit more progress.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hello,
maybe a stupid question so please excuse me in advance: could the FHXL work properly when not placed into a corner? My living room has no corners (I mean it has of course four of them, but due to the placement of my system they are not usable), I only could put the speakers onto the wall.
Or is it better in this case to choose another FR-system?
Thank you!

Cheers

Plott,

My experience with the FHXL with MA Alpair 10.x drivers is that it does not require corners to give adequate low frequency output.

If you look at the pics of FHXLs built by DIYers on the forum, you will see most folks have not placed their speakers in corners, but rather they are placed in front of the wall only.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thank you both!
As I like smooth but detailed and well emphasized mids, which driver should I choose (in case that I decide to build it as my just second diy-speaker-project)? In my ears the MA 7's tend to be "too much" or fatiguing, but maybe it's just me.
Cheers

Plott,

I have heard the Alpair 10.3 and 10P in the FHXL. The Alpair 10P has softer top and vocals sound more pronounced, while the Alpair 10.3 has a more high frequency extension, and maybe a tad more LF output too.

You can look for impressions of folks who have used Alpair 11MS, Pluvia 11 and CHN-110.

Among other brands I have read that the Tang Band W6-2144 has good high frequency and mid-range sound, albeit sacrificing a little at the lower frequencies vs the MA offerings.