Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

On a question, I’d like to ask about one of your early drawings of a rather wide super baffle on I believe was the FH3 . Does it extend all the way down the cabinet? Scottmoose is a big advocate of large wide baffles, from what I heard of him on YouTube? Does a large baffle apply to the FHXL also? Is a baffle compensator needed? Is there a circuit for that? I know there was a drawing , but was it ever done?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
supraBaffle can be anty shape you’d like.

Unlike what Stefan says BSC is dependent of the driver, room, room placement, and taste.

All the FHs have excessive gain at the bottom (why damping is used to bring it down a bit). Depending on all the factors listed there may be a depression between the 2π radiation and where the bass horn gain starts.

We very rarely see anyone applying BSC to FHs occasionally someone will do somethng to contour the top.

dave

djhurley92,

The description on the Alpair 10P landing page on the Mark Audio website seems confusing/erroneous.

The DC Resistance (Re VC) of the voice coil of the Alpair 10P is 6.2 ohms according to provided specs.

For nominal impedance I recall that you can take Re VC value and multiply by 1.2. So that would be ~ 7.44 ohms which is close enough to 8 ohms... BUT you have done the right thing and looked at the impedance curve, as the impedance of a loudspeaker is not a static figure, and varies with frequency. So your eyeballing the curve shows you that the impedance doesn't drop below 7.5 ohms - so that should be a relatively easier load for your SE amp with 8 ohm secondary taps.

Attachments

• MA 10P site description.jpg
    MA 10P site description.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 469
  • MA 10P specs.jpg
    MA 10P specs.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 471
  • MA 10P impedance curve factory.jpg
    MA 10P impedance curve factory.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Really enjoyed my FHXL build, many thanks to Stefan of KJFAudio for the easy to build kit and thanks also to those who designed it.

How much gentle break in is advised for the Alpair 10P? I've seen references to it not needing as much as some of the other MAs but would be great to know roughly how many hours to wait before turning up the volume.

Hi,

I am currently using the MAOP 10 in an FHXL and have been enjoying it since. I am currently driving it with an 6922 based Aikido preamp and an RH84 tube SET power amp of 3 watts per channel. It fills the 21sq.m (224 sq.ft.) room with headroom to spare.

Has anyone measured the sensitivity of the MAOP 10 in an FHXL? It seems that the overall sensitivity is high as it can be driven by a SET amp.