Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

I read the whole thread and am feeling intrigued. I already have Alpair 10p in pensil cabinets. It seems in FHXL will go lower with greater dynamics and deeper sound- stage and as a audio lover I have started to have the itch to build the FHXL cabs. Those here who have heard Alpair 10p in both cabinets.. can you please comment how much the sound will differ and if the difference is big enough to do the hardwork and build the FHXL cabs if one already has the pensils. Thanks in advance...

Hi ujju3doc,

I've heard the Alpair 10P in the FHXL and in a MLTL cabinet (similar to the design by Bob Brines). From memory, the FHXL in room LF response was a bit more extended, and it had a deeper sound stage.

Having said that, if you are looking for a big difference in low frequency output you will probably be disappointed. Both the Pensil and the FHXL brings out a lot of LF output from a modestly sized (5.25") wide-band driver like the Alpair 10P - but if you want to play louder with more dynamics and slam, adding woofers will help you get there. The wide-band driver will also get freed up from LF duty, allowing it play cleaner and louder with less IM distortion.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Depends on the amount of dsmping you add below the driver, room, and room placement. The rear mouth does use the wall or corner behind as an extension of the horn. Do keep in ind that more gain comes with a bit more ripple in the response — hard to teas ethat out from the much greater effect of the room.

In the right room loaded into a corner, one can have way to much bass. A Pensil will be somewhat less sensitive.

The driver you use will also play a role.

Scott will be better able to give a number range.

dave

I have no thoughts. ;)

Humour aside, I'm afraid I don't do subjective evaluations because by nature, they're subjective. My opinion doesn't necessarily chime with that of others, and I lack the vocabulary and descriptive sophistication to produce an assessment that will stand a good chance of being generally useful. They're different; FHXL has a slightly broader operating gain BW, optimally loaded for a given acoustic gets a little lower with a little more dynamic range. The pensils are quite good in these senses however, so whether the gains are worth the extra effort is a matter of opinion. Some will think so, so may not. They're different enough to provide a different presentation, but whether you'll like it more I can't say. If you already have the pensils & like them, but wanted tro try something else, I've be aiming for a more dramatic shift in enclosure myself, but YMMV.

Last edited:
-
FHXL has a slightly broader operating gain BW, optimally loaded for a given acoustic gets a little lower with a little more dynamic range. The pensils are quite good in these senses however, so whether the gains are worth the extra effort is a matter of opinion. Some will think so, so may not. They're different enough to provide a different presentation,
-
I've be aiming for a more dramatic shift in enclosure myself, but YMMV.
Not that I'm interested FHXL, (Joan horn variation is on my to-do list, it's versatile for the driver(s) I have and may possibly get), but care to share a teaser of the idea with us?

Unless I missed it in this recent volley of posts re Pensils vis a vis Frugels in any of the current 3weight classes, it bears repeating that one of the penalties of the “horns” is the much larger footprint and required clearance behind and to sides for the maximum benefit.
In this regard, the Pensils or similar topology of monopole MLTL design offer greater flexibility in terms of placement.
I’ve owned several pairs of each type, and once domestic considerations are accounted for, sometimes a “monkey coffin” is the most acceptable compromise.

Not that I'm interested FHXL, (Joan horn variation is on my to-do list, it's versatile for the driver(s) I have and may possibly get), but care to share a teaser of the idea with us?

I'm simply saying that if you want a very dramatic difference in perceived characteristics using a given drive unit, you need to make very dramatic shift in how you use them. Nothing beyond that was implied or intended to be implied. Some may feel FHXL is that, some may not.

Last edited:
The most from Frugel Horn XL

I just had a transformative experience with my Frugel Horn XLs. It speaks to the above concerns.

I never before took my best little amp down to the basement to play on the XLs because I thought they needed more power than those two tiny watts. Boy was I wrong.

That “little amp” is a SET 45, home made of course. It just Rocks! The XLs are thriving, big bass... big bad *** bass in fact and they track every nuance so there is no lack anywhere in the timbre and tone.

I had thought I’d just once in a while play the XLs when the mood struck me and I wanted to listen to a small intimate recording. Who’d think that by going flea watt I’d discover the life I thought was denied them for their size and power requirements. They need just a couple watts, really good ones 😀

Sorry the pic posts upside down I find a way to fix it!:eek:

Attachments

• FHXL-A103-SET45.jpg
    FHXL-A103-SET45.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 346