Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Hi all,
Received the plans thank you. I have cut out my FH-XL from 18mm birch ply and glued in the internal and rear panels. (BTW, I am using West Systems Epoxy as I have a couple of litres on hand from my boat build). I am ready to route out the driver recess, but I don't have the drivers on hand. I am going with 10p because they are in stock over here in Aus. It seems that most don't use the bezels, but the dimensions shown don't give the OD without bezels (unless I am reading it wrong). Is somebody able to enlighten me on the best OD and depth for the recess?
Thanks, Glenn.

Attachments

• FHXL build.jpg
    FHXL build.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 450
I'm a little late to this party, but general advice is to never cut holes until you actually have drivers in hand. All kinds of bizarre things go on and specs and actual units vary from time to time. Once holes are cut, it is exceptionally difficult to make them larger and always impossible to make holes smaller...

I have one other question. I live in Queensland, Australia and we have little critters called Geckos, which, while quite cute and harmless, like to get inside electrical equipment and cause havoc laying eggs and leaving behind other surprises.
Is it ok to put a screen over the rear port to keep them out? I realise it would have to be a very open weave.
Thanks,
Glenn.

Just another note to comment on how much I'm enjoying this awesome speaker design. I switched a few components around the other day and was able to listen to a nearly 100% DIY playback chain: It consists of a heavily modified Technics SL-1200 TT which feeds a Pearl2 phono stage, and a B1 Korg NuTube preamp that drives Mike's MoFo amp and ends at the FHXL with 10.3 drivers.

The MoFo amp seems to produce a bit more bass than other amps (this probably has something with having lots of iron in the signal path...). This combination just sounds awesome to my ears! I was listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall and just couldn't get over how pleased I was. The NuTube and MoFo generate a bit of 2nd order harmonics and provide a nice blend of a spacious sound stage as well as a believable center image for vocals. The horns and the MoFo combination really generate a surprising amount of bass for such a relatively small driver!

What fun! The NuTube and MoFo combination don't provide a ton of gain (about 15dB) but it's certainly more than enough to enjoy and both also fit the "frugal" spirit of the speakers. My MoFo amp was constructed with mostly recycled/scavanged parts, so the overall bang for the buck of the NuTube/MoFo/FHXL is into the stratosphere!

Don’t you just love it when any new piece of gear makes you dig through your decades old collection of various media formats in the attempt to plumb for previously undiscovered depths of inner detail? Of course the finding of those is often a textbook example of expectation / confirmation bias - but no one is getting hurt, so I’m good with that.

For some reason this got me reminiscing about over 50yrs of listening - a lot of fond memories, even with sub par systems.

So what's the consensus on FHXL utilizing the MA 11MS versus the MA 10p which FHXL was designed around?

I like the "BBC curve" of that MA 11MS only hesitant about driving the 88db 11MS with my 3wpc 2A3 SET amp. I could set it up in a small'ish listening room which actually would be better for corner loading the FHXL. However, doing so may not allow for proper listening distances short of a seating position against the rear wall. I'd guess the MA A10p would do better on 3wpc but hard to get excited about it after the whole A12p thing. I still have the old HH Scott 222c 18wpc PP tube int amp to drive the MA 11MS so not a total write off if the little SET can cut it, only I still prefer the sound of the little 3wpc SET, could just be better to save the money for something else?

The efficiency is only about 1 db different between A11ms and A10p, would that really be so much easier to drive from a 3W amp? My limited experience with the Alpairs is they are cheap enough (even factoring the wood and work for building enclosures) that taking a plunge and trying them isn't going to ruin you.

The efficiency is only about 1 db different between A11ms and A10p, would that really be so much easier to drive from a 3W amp? My limited experience with the Alpairs is they are cheap enough (even factoring the wood and work for building enclosures) that taking a plunge and trying them isn't going to ruin you.
IIRC, @chris-planet10 team have said 10p is actually more efficient than the numerical spec on paper and only about a db less than the 91.7dB A12p.

WRT cost, the project is not so cheap if I purchase the CNC cut FHXL flat pack. Although, after seeing the build pix in post #1224 by @Trackhappy, FHXL looks rather simple to build from scratch so no real need for me to pay a premium for a flatpack...