Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

ruievil,

Planet10 used to provide flatpacks for the DIY community - but not sure if he is still doing that. Maybe send him an e-mail?

On your question on the Alpair 10, let me try to provide you with a bit of background. My understanding is that the first iteration was an aluminum cone driver - the Alpair 10. Then came an improved driver, again alu cone, which was the Alpair 10.2. After that, 2 more Alpair 10.x were released - one with alu cone, which is the Alpair 10.3, and the other with a paper cone, the Alpair 10P. So, the Alpair 10.3 is the 3rd gen among alu cones, while the Alpair 10P is the first release with a paper cone.

Besides these models, there is a limited production alu Alpair 10.x with micro arc oxidation process treatment which is called the Alpair 10 MAOP.

I'm working on it

Is there a American/Canadian source of the Frugal Horn MK3 or XL flatpacks, or only KJH in the UK?

Also on Madisound, I see the 10P being Generation 1. Is the 10M generation 3?

Good Morning! I am getting ready to head to the shop today and cut out my first pair of FH XLs. If all goes well I hope to be able to start producing flat packs of all models in the very near future for shipment in the US and hopefully Canada. No guarantee of pricing at this point, but I am shooting for the same price as Planet10. I will post an update later this week.

Wish me luck! :xfingers:

Good Morning! I am getting ready to head to the shop today and cut out my first pair of FH XLs. If all goes well I hope to be able to start producing flat packs of all models in the very near future for shipment in the US and hopefully Canada. No guarantee of pricing at this point, but I am shooting for the same price as Planet10. I will post an update later this week.

Wish me luck! :xfingers:
CNC'd of Baltic Birch Ply? If so good luck.

I could go for CNC precise cuts, don't need the attachment hardware, I have an ample supply of clamps. Plus I'm located in Philly and could drive up so I may be one of your first customers.

Last edited:
A bit of advice re CNC-ing of Baltic birch or equivalent high quality multi-ply; ensure to adjust tool correction for potential minor variances in thickness for each sheet of material, and allow for some minor “wiggle room” of internal divider and rear panel.
After some futzing about, Planet10 settled on using 15mm ply for the FH3* , with 5mm deep dadoes.
There were far fewer FHXL flat packs, and I’m embarrassed to say I can’t remember if they were a combination of 18 &15, or all 18mm.
*jeeze, that should be 18mm for front baffles to allow for recess / rebate of drivers such as Alpair7.

Last edited:
Thank you Dave for that . Now that I have you a question or two come to mind and maybe they were already answered . Regarding high frequency’s and the 11ms driver , will taking stuffing out of the V increase high frequency’s or take away low frequency’s ? I think you told me before the stuffing in the cabinet only affects low frequency????

My room had corner bass traps for the longest time even before I had the FHXL/MAOP. While the MAOP provided more bass than the 10.3M I was still not happy how they are performing. I removed the bass traps and retained the front wall diffusers. Fired up the system .... there was no boom or reverberation from the room ... sound became more open; even the mids and highs improved. Quality and spl level of the bass is now better.

Thanks for clarifying the behavior of the rear port for the back loaded horn.

If you are corner loading them it certainly would screw things up.

dave

Is there such a thing as over stuffing at the back of the driver?
Aside from the cotton felt lining, when fiber fill liners are used, they tend to expand than just lining the internal baffle .... if they expand and fill in the space at the back of the driver, will this be detrimental to the high/mids frequency response of the driver?

The damping affects pretty much only the ripple in the bass, althou the felt around the driver aims to reduce reflections back thru the cone — these will be of a higher frequency.

dave

I'm certainly not super skilled at woodworking, but I'm also not a novice and have built my share of things over the years. Having said that, I would certainly find it worthwhile to pay someone for a flat pack if I was making another pair of FHXLs. I also know that not everyone has ready access to baltic birch.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is there such a thing as over stuffing at the back of the driver?
Aside from the cotton felt lining, when fiber fill liners are used, they tend to expand than just lining the internal baffle .... if they expand and fill in the space at the back of the driver, will this be detrimental to the high/mids frequency response of the driver?

A splash of damping behind the driver might improve the top, but not too much and not too close.

dave