Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Right - I was thinking of Pages 5 & 6 - as you know, I draw my own version of the series starting on Page 10 to include dadoes, which of course makes the internal and front panels wider - perhaps enough so that the tooling diameter might force one row of rectangular panels off the sheet . That's why I'd cut all those out first on beam saw, and leave a blank slab for the sides. Even with a really sharp bit and low feed rate, a CNC leaves a rougher cut on edges of plywood than a beam or sliding saw with scoring blade.

Except for the first prototypes of each model, all the FrugelHorns I've built, or cut parts for include dadoes - I think most kit builders have found it makes for very easy assembly.

Last edited:
Hi
Would like your assistance where I can find the info on the sound propagation for the fhxl/10.3 speaker so I can determine the best placement of the sitting position vertically and horizontally.

I noticed in my current fhxl/10.3 set-up that in order for me to hear the full bass output, I need to be 6inches higher than my lazy boy. My fhxl box has an outrigger plus spikes and approximately raised by 2.5 inches from the floor.

Thanks

As this is bass related it is more likely the effect of room modes rather than the driver dispersion pattern. Lower (bass) frequencies set up standing waves in your room, as you move around your room you will notice that the appparent bass levels vary.
The solution will be to re-arrange the positions of either the speakers, furniture or listening. Room acoustics have more impact on perceived sound than any other part of your system.
The following website may help in understanding room modes: http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

Thanks Dave and BIB

Dave, I will try your suggestion. But also, I encountered in one of the posts a diagram on how sound is projected by the fhxl because one of the members ask about changing the way the speaker stands since the front of the bafffle is tilted. And I can't seem to find that digram along with the responses that followed it.

BIB, it also happens that when I move further back into the room, I get better bass response than at the supposedly sweet spot sitting area.

Well, the sweet spot is where things sound sweetest, and I think can vary from what simple spreadsheets or cocktail napkin figuring might predict when using speakers such as full blown dipole / bipoles, or those with a major portion of their output from a rear horn mouth, such as is the case with the FH3 & FHXL.

The 5dg tilt of the front baffle is certainly likely to affect response in the vertical axis at higher frequencies, but at anything below 300Hz or so, I can't imagine would change the modal distribution all that much - but then remember, in over 50yrs of listening, and almost 20yrs of building, I've never done any in room measurements.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My intention is to release one of my miniOnken centre channels for free use with the frugel-horns.

Here are some small centre channels suitable for use with FHXL.

Alpair 10.2: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/Mar-Ken102-CentreA-plan-060412.pdf
Alpair 10.3: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/MarKen103-centreA-271114.pdf
Alpair 10p:http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/MarKen10p-CentreC-plan-110514.pdf

Fostex FF165wk is yet to be done.

If you need another size or shape you will need to subscribe to the paid planset.

dave

I'll comment on the XL's one more time, this is in my modest 9x13' room. With my Cathodyne 807 amp and oppo103 CD player , you will not find better sound, these speakers in my room with this particular equipment is just mind boggling, from top to bottom, just stunning with these 63 year old ears, totally worth the effort!!!

Hi! I have a pair of a good old Fostex 166E-SR and looking for best type speakers to use. I stopped on FXL. Can I expect a good result? Need FXL plans to be modifided in dementions to match those speakers? I'm good in carpentry rathe then in acustic scince. FXL will be in "tiger" oak.
Thanks for answers to newcomer :)

Well Happy New year and what I've never done was finish my XL's off , because sounding so good, am afraid to even move them. Not a big fan of the speakers having to be pretty. On a question about the drivers I noticed the MA10.3 is capable of bass into the 38hz region ? and the paper cone I'm using only to 42hz. a big deal ? worth the 800 hours to break them in ? will the 10.3 give a more extended high frequencies? anyway hope everything is well with Dave in this new year. I think its important to keep this thread going. Still very impressed by this speaker. have not heard too much from other builders of the XL's. no news is good news?????

Happy New Year kevner1954, and good to know that you are enjoying the FH-XL speakers. I've heard the FH-XL with both Alpair 10.3 and Alpair 10P - to my ears the Alpair 10.3 treble presentation is a bit hotter vs the Alpair 10P, whereas the A10P mids are a just bit more pronounced - so it is a matter of preference (and content maybe) on which one the listener will prefer. Difficult to really point out differences in lower frequencies, as the cabinet (and room) will come into play and the driver Fs will not be the only factor there.

Kevin - I'd certainly agree with Zia's assessment of the metals being a bit "hotter" in the top several octaves than the papers, and that there's more than a modicum of subjectivity to the question of "which is 'better'?" .

If you're not asking the XLs to do the heaviest lifting in the bottom, the less than 5Hz difference between the two drivers might well be moot. I currently happen to be running a combination of 10.3 ( L&R)and 10P (Centre) in my 7.1 system, and there are times in which I'm not sure if metals across the whole front row wouldn't make for more consistent voicing, but I guess that's not really what you asked.

When we first had the opportunity to A/B the two A10 models - several years ago now, and both in FHXL as detailed earlier in this thread - my initial preference was for the paper. However, after the extended break-in I find it's much more of a "Chardonnay, or Pinot Grigio?" question - they're both worth the tipple.