Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

I´m back again.

my Frugel (with the Visaton Fe 168ez sigma)work´s now a long time and I was happy with them a couple of month´s. But now for a wile i ´m missing the bass and the middle tons are very in front. we doing a lot of things to correct it, but nothing will help.(?????)
what can i doe to get mor deeper sound. Im not interestet about an extra bassbox.

Is it possible to change the 6" speaker for an 8" speaker??

sorry about my bad english. I hope you understand what i want.

For more bass from the FHXL than you're currently getting with the 168s, the FF165WK, or either of the Alpair 10s would at the top of my list.

While there are no doubt lots of 8" models you could possibly shoe-horn into the XLs- such as TB W18-772s, you'd probably be in uncharted waters in terms of damping fill.

I've built XLs for both models of A10, as well as FF165WK, and probably overall prefer the 10P

.....Unlike the original Frugel-Horn and the Frugel-Horn Mk3 there will be a charge for the planset. We are proposing a minimum $10 donation to the forum in exchange for the plans......

dave

Dave,

I just sent you an email through the Frugal Horn website. I forwarded you the email I received from diyaudio.com regarding my donation and membership.

I would like to get FHXL build plans. I'll be using 18mm.

Don't rush, enjoy your Sunday. Please let me know this week if there's anything else you need, (i.e., my receipt from PayPal).

Cheers,
AlexQS

Interesting thought!
I happen to have a pair of unused AER MD3B in the cupboard from an as yet unrealised OB project.
AER | bd
I'm in a different house now and have size constraints so am considering other options.
... I think it might be just too tight to shoe-horn them in though :-S

Even if possible, any thoughts on suitability or unsuitability?

Interesting thought!
I happen to have a pair of unused AER MD3B in the cupboard from an as yet unrealised OB project.
AER | bd
I'm in a different house now and have size constraints so am considering other options.
... I think it might be just too tight to shoe-horn them in though :-S

Even if possible, any thoughts on suitability or unsuitability?

The drawings of the XL show 239mm as the width. Using 18mm material that leaves 203mm internal dimension. The cutout for a Lowther is 190mm diameter and the fixing holes are on a 208mm PCD. So it fits with about 6.5mm either side of the cutout. Shouldn't ne a problem ;-)

I would be fascinated to see (hear) what it sounds like.

tony - wouldn't the mounting depth of any of the Lowthers make for an extremely tight fit? There is after all, only 95mm between the FHXL's front baffle and the vertical internal divider, before any felt /wool padding.

edit: not saying a competent cobbler couldn't "shoe-horn" a Lowther into this enclosure, particularly with the addition of spacers between the main front panel and drive mounting plate - something we've done with both the FH3 and FH lite to accommodate experimental swapping of drivers - but I'd still be concerned about very early reflections from that divider panel through the cone of something like a Lowther or AER/

Last edited:
tony - wouldn't the mounting depth of any of the Lowthers make for an extremely tight fit? There is after all, only 95mm between the FHXL's front baffle and the vertical internal divider, before any felt /wool padding.

edit: not saying a competent cobbler couldn't "shoe-horn" a Lowther into this enclosure, particularly with the addition of spacers between the main front panel and drive mounting plate - something we've done with both the FH3 and FH lite to accommodate experimental swapping of drivers - but I'd still be concerned about very early reflections from that divider panel through the cone of something like a Lowther or AER/

Chris - the Lowthers I have in mind are the C series - they only need 67mm from the rear of the mounting flange, so there would be about 28mm of air behind the magnet. Yes it might need a but if fiddling with the stuffing/damping materials but it ought to be doable.