Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

I have my strong doubts as to whether the curves have any kind of bearing on the sound.
It would be safe to make them straight I'd say.

Have anything more to substantiate your supposition than that?

As Dave said, using more elaborate software for air / fluid flow than would normally be available to the average DIY speaker builder, Ron did some detailed modeling on this aspect of several of his own designs a few years back - such as the A126 BLH for FE126, and the Austin. For whatever the reasons, he's not been heard from on these forums for some time now.

But it is such a shallow curve. Hardly more than a few centimetres in depth. I don't see how it can have much affect on the wavelengths involved and at the compression levels at the mouth.
But if Dave says so I'll have to believe it. But I'd be interested to hear about how much of a difference it really makes versus a straight line mouth.

Hi all. Perhaps this is a bold entry... but hear me out. Does anyone in MA or NH/ME/VT have beat XL enclosure(s) that they would want to sell? I need to experiment with this and cant seem to want to 1st build them ugly...and then pretty.

The corollary of course is then you can build a pretty pair without having to store/keep/thow out your ugly XLs....;-)...so its for the good of mankind. yes?

Beat me tuit - a correct answer might be - " sure it'd 'work' in the most technical sense" but definitely not optimally. I'd imagine the difference in the tuning and mass loading on the two sizes of drivers would be sufficient to allow the A7 to be overdriven at higher SPLs? Dr Lindgren could probably describe that in more detail.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
you like the alpair 7 more than the 10

For absolute fidelity yes. But with the new A10s the differences are small enuff, and in the small detail, that it can easily be buried before the signal gets out of the amplifier, in which case the extra bass elevates the A10s. Or if the extra bass is more important to you than the small detail.

All 3 drivers are very good. And do note that an A10.3eN or A10PeN out-details a stock A7.3. And that the A7 and A10 MOAPs are wild cards, and very very good.

FH3 is optimal for A7.x, FHXL for the A10s. And an optimal box is important.

dave