Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
First beta FHxl flat-pak (w A10PeN) got into the mail yesterday. Here it is (2 boxes) in the back of my truck just before i headed to the post office.

dave

Attachments

• first-FHxl-flat-pak.jpg
    first-FHxl-flat-pak.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,630
You're getting to be quite the flat-pak packer there, Dave. Could I trouble you for the stuffing plan? Ill try to get them going in a couple weeks - they're sitting inside letting the wood acclimate to Colorado for now.

Chris - sure hope so!

Oh, it's probably easier for some folks to draw a plan and pack the parts than to fabricate for easy assembly;)

Advance apologies if you encounter some minor cupping of the longer pieces - in the mock dry-fits it was found easy enough to remedy with pipe & long F-clamps

. Add a helper woofer all bets are off -- the bi-amped FAST we have with A7.3eN and 2 x SDX7eN is the best speaker we have done yet IMO.

dave

Forgive me if this is already mentioned, but since the SDX7 looks like it is no longer available, is there something that could replace it with similar results?
I'm really giving some thought to my next build, and I've heard so much good about the A7.3, I'd like to give it a try. And taking Dave's advice, it looks like it would be the best way to go, provided it had help on the low end. Any info that could help me make this grueling decision would be greatly appreciated. ;)
Thanks,
Mike

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Forgive me if this is already mentioned, but since the SDX7 looks like it is no longer available, is there something that could replace it with similar results?

Probably notsealed (without expending BIG $$$ on Scans or similar).The new CSS 7" on 1st sims looks like it could do the job vented. A Danish associate has reported good results with a family member.

Any info that could help me make this grueling decision would be greatly appreciated. ;)

A7.3eN is the most neutral we have tried so far. FF85wk is also very good, more extended on the top, not as neutral, and can't be XOed as low. The as yet untried A6.2MeN is one we haven't yet tried, it probably cuts between the 2. A6.2PeN would also be nice, but has a softer, more vintage top end.

dave

Probably notsealed (without expending BIG $$$ on Scans or similar).The new CSS 7" on 1st sims looks like it could do the job vented. A Danish associate has reported good results with a family member.

A7.3eN is the most neutral we have tried so far. FF85wk is also very good, more extended on the top, not as neutral, and can't be XOed as low. The as yet untried A6.2MeN is one we haven't yet tried, it probably cuts between the 2. A6.2PeN would also be nice, but has a softer, more vintage top end.

dave

Thanks Dave. I happen to REALLY like my CHP-70s. With that in mind, would it make sense that the A6.2PeN might do better for me than the A7.3? Or maybe a pair of CHP-70s in a FH Mk3?
My thinking is this: I have several sets of speakers. Some are really great, some are mediocre. I really don't want any more mediocre speakers. I'm willing to spend a little more if it will make a difference. However, I don't believe spending more always equates to more quality. I've found with the MA drivers price is not an indicator of quality. They are the best SQ/dollar speaker I have found.
Mike

NOTE- I think that's what appeals to me about "Frugal-phile!"

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking around the forum for a while now and after receiving a pair of 10.2s in the mail I thought it was time to get building.
Imagine my joy when I found the thread about the FHXL.

Dave, when you state that it will work "less optimal" with former versions of the Alpair 10s what does his mean?
Are we talking "children crying on a plane" horrible or a little bump in the frequency somewhere?

(As a newcomer to loudspeaker building I have yet to decifer the audiophile lingo. What sounds like nails on blackboard to the trained audiophile might sound quite reasonable to the layman attuned to 400 dollar boxes)

I really like the sound of horns, that is why i wonder. Otherwise I will have to go for the M10-A10, pencils or most likely Jim Griffin's design.
Size is not a problem since its going in my photo studio.

Simon