Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

And here’s a question why are you not trying the FF165WK?
If you're aking me, no particular reason other then that I already have the FE166EsR which I like and am not looking to replace only I've been told they are not a good match to FHXL. I would expect FE168NS to be closer to the 166EsR then FF165WK?
Was thinking of the A11MS/FHXL but the buzz on MS series drivers appears to be fading. Plus the last MA drivers I purchased were so sonically miss matched, one sounding "hot" the other "dull" possibly from a clear QC defect I spotted with the one "hot" sounding driver having what appears to be a drip (spot) of glue on the underside of the cone by the VC which shouldn't be there, that I scrapped all build plans, took the loss on the drivers and wrote them off.

That’s funny I have a broke in , or not pair of 11ms, 10.3, and 10P ‘s , just feel they don’t provide the high frequencies I’m looking for and it’s said the cabinet will not help?!?!???? So i’ve Gone to the FF165WK which do... mind you I like the tone of the Mark Audio’s, the balance is better with the 165.

It depends how you define 'a shouty driver' since there is no fixed definition, and it may not be a driver as such but a particular physical characteristic of an individual's hearing. A lot of people use that term as a synonym for a rising HF response; that isn't necessarily the cause of what they dislike however, which can often actually be down to peaking in the 3KHz region.

Be that as it may, in general the answer is no: a driver's response above the mass-corner frequency (take 2Fs / Qe) is innate, so if it has response issues above that, the enclosure doesn't (and can't) do anything about it except in very specific conditions such as chronic over-damping. A rising HF can subjectively be brought into a degree of balance by a rising LF, resulting in the characteristic on-axis 'smiley face' frequency response seen in some speakers. As noted though, that isn't always (or often) the cause of what many describe as 'shout'. The power response, especially dispersion / output over the 1st 30 degrees or so also can play a role in this. The FF165wk has a little less in the way of off-axis output than the Alpairs, and drops quite quickly above ~10KHz (the 10M in particular has more in the way of HF) so the general balance will be biased more toward the lower registers which may help if you prefer that for xyz reason. Beyond that -running out of ideas I'm afraid.

Hello, I am nearing completion of my first FHXL flat pack to send to a member in Texas. I hope to complete everything next week and work out all the bugs in my system. If anyone is interested in flat packs please let me know. I plan on producing all three sizes of the Frugalhorns. I will make a more formal announcement, and go thru official channels, once I know what I am doing. Admin, if this is inappropriate, or in the wrong spot please let me know the right way to do this. If you are interested please send me a PM. Thanks and have a great day!!

Bob