IMG_2433.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 611
  • Sanding Drum1.JPG
    Sanding Drum1.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 597
  • Sanding Drum2.JPG
    Sanding Drum2.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 591
Cost / availability of cobalt is the first thing that comes to mind. The same question could asked about Jordan, or as I understand now even Fostex.
About half the cobalt produced globally is used in the production of batteries that power cel phones and electric cars - two markets that whether for good or bad, I don’t think have come close to saturation - and absent new emergent technologies that could supplant both the energy density/form factor and relative economy of production in fairly matured and well establish manufacturing infrastructures of such batteries, I’d wager on that to continue.

Speak for yourself, kevner - I know I certainly wouldn’t be lining up to be an early adopter at those kinda prices. This is based on the assumption that the use of more exotic magnetic materials, be they alnico alloys, neodymium, etc would automatically propel the measurable / perceived performance of any given driver design to “beyond the next level”.
Based on the only model of full range driver I’ve personally had the opportunity to hear that was offered as close to differing only in magnetics - Fostex FX120 and F120A - both gorgeously made, and definitely a step above the FE series - I’m not convinced that a price difference of 3 times would be worth it. Of course, the proof would in the hearing, and as it’s generally not well populated, I could approach such an opportunity with an open mind - and some one else’s wallet.

We finally finished my brother-in-law’s FHXLs (with Alpair 10.3) this weekend. I had the opportunity to test them at my house with my setup two weeks ago. That was to adjust the stuffing before they were finally glued together. The drivers were broken in for about 200 hours prior to installation.

In my small house and driving them with my ACA (and Aksa Lender preamp) they sounded absolutely fantastic and much better than anticipated - the detail, the depth, the soundstage, the imaging, the bigness, the bass, the beautiful midrange and vocals. The first photo shows them temporarily clamped up and being tested. A few friends came over for listening impressions and all were blown away. And I fell in love with these Alpair 10.3 drivers.

Last photo shows the final result. My brother-in-law did most of the woodwork and it was his idea to add the top to the speakers. He is a creative artist with a carpentry shop. I am not sure if this actually interferes with the sound. Unfortunately we also had to add grills to protect the drivers from inquisitive and exploring fingers. The grand children indented the previous drivers within a few days after installation. The FHXLs replaces FH Lites (with TC9FD) which we built in the beginning of the year.

Russian Birch plywood was used, with Rosewood veneer on the baffle, White Oak veneer on the sides and solid Red Oak for the tops.

Attachments

• FHXL1.jpg
    FHXL1.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 497
  • FHXL2.jpg
    FHXL2.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 491
I would think that since all these things are made in China, IT would be easy , but looking at the tariff war that Donald Gump put on China we won’t even be able to afford things made there!!! Check out common sense audio prices . Everything went up a hundred to 2 hundred dollars . Nuts!!!

Yes I saw that on the A.N. website. I called David he said thanks to the good old president for the Mark ups. I understand the Mark ups but, now it's pushed the A.N. further from my list of buying from them. Jm

Frugel Horn XL / Clear polyester varnish

My pair of Frugel Horn XL based on the KJF Audio Flat Pack Kit.
I performed the assembly and let the finish to a professional (D.B Restor Finition at Chatenoy-le-royal France).
For the finish, the following steps were followed: - 2 (crossed) layers of isolating varnish
- Smooth sanding
- 4 crossed layers of incolor polyester varnish font
- Smooth sanding
- 5 crossed layers of incolor polyester varnish
- Polyshing

Attachments

• Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 551
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 546
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 549
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 556
  • Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 556
  • Photo6.jpg
    Photo6.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 313
Yes, these are 10.3.
In my audio system, I use:
-A pair of Frugal Horn XL with Alpair 10.3

-A Ripole subwoofer with two Eminence Kilomax pro 18A

-MiniDSP 2x4 HD with Dirac Live Plugin for room correction / UMIK / Cross over at 120Hz

-Homemade amplifier based on 1 Anaview AMS0100 used in stereo mode to drive the Frugal Horn XL and 1 Anaview ALC0300 mono to drive the Subwoofer

The Frugal Horn replace a pair of Horn using Tang Band W5-2106.
At the moment, they have run only 50h.
I will wait at least until 150h before changing the crossover to (I think to 80 Hz) and to perform measurement and room correction (I use currently the same room correction as for my Tang Band).

For a raw comparison - using my ears - between the Tang Band and the Alpair 10.3, in my particular configuration, I would say that the sound is much more detailed on the whole range (especially medium/high frequencies).
Note: I was already very happy with the Tang Band ;-)

Quentin