Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Thanks Dave for getting back , another question is , will the higher frequencies in the 10.3 be better or are they pretty close to? I find the 10P lacking somewhat . The rest of the sound / frequencies are so good i find myself not wanting to move them one inch, but that might be the difference....????? Hope everything is well with you

I'm very much interested in the new Mark Audio A-11MS driver for use in a Frugel XL.
However, I am concerned I may find the Frugel XL requires a larger space than a low watt tube amp can fill with the 88db A-11MS, something I really won't know for sure until I try.
Therefore and so the build won't be a write off (at least until I get an amp I like with a few more watts), I am wondering if I'd be able to swap out the A-11MS for my 96db Fostex FE166-ESR drivers?

Last edited:
I t should be at least as capable as the FE163 in FHXL. Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

The damping required for each driver will differ, with the FOstex needing less.

dave
A Few questions -

Any idea how different the FE-166EsR would perform in a Frugal XL vs. the Wooden Victor?

Would the A-11MS work in the Wooden Victor?

Lastly, and this may get answered in the previous two questions but which driver/box combo would be more compromised, A-11MS in a Victor or FE166EsR in a Frugal XL?

Last edited:
Definitely. ;)

The FH series enclosures were developed to be reasonably flexible & accept a reasonable range of different drivers (providing a modicum of common sense is applied). The Woden boxes are specific to their design units or the very near equivalents thereof; trying to drop completely different drivers into them is not recommended.

Last edited:
-
Scott & i are working on a Megalith sytle horn called Brodgar specifically for the A11ms.

dave
So I shouldn't try to sell the Victor boxes with a pair of stock FE166en thinking I can retrofit the 166EsR into a Frugal XL and get close enough results:eek:
... I don't know how I'm going to find the space for both the Brodgar and Victor's having only one room which is borderline minimum size required for a 2x mouth BLH:confused:

^If Brodgar is Sacchio - Haruna size, I'm out.

As it went, I gave away a 100-year-old mahogany/ebony and ivory keys baby grand piano made by Cunningham (Philadelphia) to free up the room for the Victor! Truth is I don't play and instruments should be used, still the Victor's were the catalyst for that deal ... you guys are a bad influence on me:\