Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

The throat of a horn is either the sealed end of a chamberless variety, or the initial cross section of the horn proper leaving a low pass filter chamber (the only purpose of which is exactly that, albeit sometimes forgotten by the term 'compression chamber' being misapplied. Compression chambers are the sealed chamber loading the rear of a driver in a front horn).

in the case of something like a tapped BLH such as FHs, etc, the room could even be considered the "compression chamber" ;) - I'm not sure if that's even a jest

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Finally got a visualization done.

FHxl-visualization.png

dave

Ply --- ply ???

Hi Dave or someone with solution...

Have the plans - made the donation - have the spirit... BUT - they have stopped making ply made of birch. And so much birch out in forest? I can get 18mm Pine(looks fine, but..). One vendor said he can get 12mm birch, so if I glue 6 and 12mm birch together it can work out fine.

But too much glueing before I can start on the real project - A Horn - Jippiay.

Shall I go for the 18mm Pine. It is softer, and not as nice artistically? Maybe veneer or paint after it is finished?

Anyone please help. :(

Best

Olav

Tnx Dave

Olav,

The birch is not all that important, what is important are the number of plies. The guys in Australia are using hoop pine ply (17mm IIRC). You willlikely be just fine.

dave

Yea;)

Had a feeling that it could be like your answer gave --- and the sound from my old Fonken-like Alp10.2 is harder (knock - knock) compared to other I have built in wood from birch - which have a softer tone. So maybe the PinePly will have a more of a rounded and tubey feel.

My wife enjoys more my old FR125S with tweeter in Fonken made of 18mm birch - than my distinct and very revealing Alp10.2 in Fonken 18mm Oak.
They have a softer and more forgiving tone. Very easy to listen to.:sax:

Thanks again Dave

Best

Olav