Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Just pulled the trigger on a set of 10p. All I have to install them in for now is a set of ML-Voigt designed for the Fostex FE167e (cut and paste?). Any chance any of you guys are coming to AXPONA in Chicago and bringing a set of driver/cabinets (all you guys are to far away)?

Jeff

FHXL finished

Phew, turned out to be a demanding build. The ply, as well as being heavy and void free, turned out to be very difficult to work with. Easily splinters the top ply when cutting and the splinters are rock hard so my hands peppered with splinter holes, also hard going sanding down edges. However, very pleased with the results, has a lovely dark grain and gets spousal approval!

In terms of the build I followed the plans with the exception of the top which is full width, adjusted side and top dimensions to suit. I do this as I do not have a clamp that is suitable and also as I prefer the look, the edge of the ply kinda frames the cabinets better I think.

Small detail but the rear and internal panels seemed to come out about 1.5mm to long in place tho that could be a result of my cutting and change re top. Otherwise all good - just like the Mk3.

Stuffing - I used wool based wall insulation - I have had a bale of this for over 10 years using it in various speakers, works well in TL, BLH type cabs, holds its shape and teases out well. I used 60g each in front and rear cavity. Felt - managed to buy some 12.5mm industrial wool felt, pricey but seemed perfect for the job. It is fairly dense tho and I am not sure how the density would affect the sound - I doubt much if any.

I will compile a more detailed build report - Dave do I post here or mail to you?

Attachments

• FHXL1.jpg
    FHXL1.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 2,092
  • FHXL2.jpg
    FHXL2.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 1,851
Oh, the sound? Awesome! Of course bass it the first thing you listen for and it is powerful and deep enough to call them full range. Of course not as low as a pair of 18" subs but in no way would I consider adding subs.

Overall somewhat more balanced than their smaller brothers as a result of the additional bottom end. Only 1/2hour listening to date but exceeding expectations so far.

Hi, sorry no building report yet, been busy, holidays etc.. To be honest the build went as per plans with the exception of my adjustments to accommodate the top panel being full width.

However some further listening and a greater chance for driver break in so I will comment further about the sound.

Obviously the cabinet contributes mainly to the bass performance and this is outstanding, if anything a little too dominant so I may adjust the stuffing below the driver at some stage (currently at the middle of the 40-80gm range). Even tho the bass is dominant at higher levels it is still very clean and well defined and VERY enjoyable to listen to. I love listening at lower levels and hearing the bass underpin the music (I listen to a lot of electronic/ambient music which has a lot of lower bass content - most systems you don't even know its there). In fact, subjectively there seems to be more bass than my FH3/18" H-frame system but I think thats around room acoustics and the H-frame being super clean. Also the FHXLs are against the wall in my lounge, probably boosting bass a bit, will pull them away 1/2metre sometime to see how that affects it.

Anyhoo, very pleased with the outcome so many thanks all involved.

BTW FHXL seems to have gone quiet - or is it these things take some time to happen?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Excellent Chris.

I am currently in themidst of packing up 2 FHxl flat-pak beta kits, one off to Colarado & the other to California. Tentatively priced at $390/pr and postage is going tobe about 50% more than the FH3 flat-paks.

Few people have signed up for doing beta builds, there is at least one that will try driver other than A10 (FE166).

Rumoh in the Netherlands has re-surfaced and they may be doing FHxl flat-paks as well as FH3.

Chris has been hogging out FHxl but both atr now veneered.

dave

Indeed, if one was to follow the pattern of tilted front baffle and deeply carved side panels exhibited int FH3 ans XL, an XXL would likely have a much deeper foot print than the Avebury, and in any room in which that would not look ungainly my money'd be on the larger bifurcated horn to still have the performance edge.

As "pedestrian" as the Pensil's aesthetics might be (no offence intended, Scott), the Alpair12P work very well in that enclosure

Last edited:
The suggestion was very much tongue in cheek, a set of pensils tick all the right boxes. No pun intended.

I've got a set of Carfrae little big horns to build sometime this summer, I'll do all my head scratching and chin rubbing then.

I'll try and post a pic of some similar horns, I just LOVE this look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,694
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The suggestion was very much tongue in cheek, a set of pensils tick all the right boxes. No pun intended.

I've got a set of Carfrae little big horns to build sometime this summer, I'll do all my head scratching and chin rubbing then.

I'll try and post a pic of some similar horns, I just LOVE this look.

You might be interested in the Zen Acousta by Koho. I think he is working on his latest version with a driver chamber and throat - similar to one you show. The smooth curves look great but they don't low pass filter the mid bass from leaking out.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/224709-zen-acousta.html

The throat of a horn is either the sealed end of a chamberless variety, or the initial cross section of the horn proper leaving a low pass filter chamber (the only purpose of which is exactly that, albeit sometimes forgotten by the term 'compression chamber' being misapplied. Compression chambers are the sealed chamber loading the rear of a driver in a front horn).

Hi Dave!

If I make a donation - is it possibly to get the plans for FHXL? I have for a time now wanted to try a new nice build for my old Alp10.2(residing in Fonken today). My new Alp12P is so very good with my ResSITand maybe I will play more on the 10.2 if they have more touch and deeper bass. Maybe a different sound in a big room?

Best to all.

Olav