Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

I got that - what exactly did you want to hear?

note that only one of the two pairs of A10Ps I'm currently holding captive are "treated", so there'd be 2 substantial variables under test - to quote Richard Feyhman's character in "The Challenger Disaster" (perhaps William Hurt's best performance?) -in a totally different context, that'd be "not a good use of 'science' "

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I got that - what exactly did you want to hear?

note that only one of the two pairs of A10Ps I'm currently holding captive are "treated", so there'd be 2 substantial variables under test - to quote Richard Feyhman's character in "The Challenger Disaster" (perhaps William Hurt's best performance?) -in a totally different context, that'd be "not a good use of 'science' "

Given that the major differences between FHXL and Pensil10 will be in the lower octaves, I can't imagine that the "treatment" status of the drivers would make a significant difference. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

In any case, I am just as apt to ignore science completely and accept anecdotes when it comes to people's impressions of sound system components. Particularly those whose opinions I value as much as yours. :)

Anything at all that you can say about even the lowest octave would be appreciated.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I have always been very curious about horns, and about the Frugal Horn family in particular, which is why I find FHXL so intriguing. On the other hand, I have asked Scott to possibly work on another design project for me, so I think I owe it to myself and him to learn as much as I can about FHXL before either of us commit to a new design.

Nice to "see" you all again, by the way. :)

After a cursory comparison of the M10A10 and FHXL with A10ps the other evening, I was reminded that the port on M10A10 would need to be modified, but I can't remember exactly if/where Bob posted the revised length.

That considered, my impressions from that session will likely be subject to updating. What I think can be said is that very much like the comparison between Pensil and FH3 with Alpair7s, there's a substantial difference in the breadth and depth of soundstage presentation that might well swamp the current potential sub-optimal bass tuning of the MLTL. In other words, if you have the additional floor space required by the deeper footprint and rear mouth of either of FHs (3 or XL) , I can heartily recommend them.

I also found this to be the case with the Woden Maeshowe/Valiant, Victor and the most recent FH-Twin, currently undergoing break-in at Dave's. Think stacked FH3s (no tilt back ). Could accommodate any of the same drivers used in single FH3 - in our case MTM with CSS VWR126 and LDX25 tweeters. Rather a tight bit of dental surgery to fit the XO in the enclosures (1st order on mid-woofs, & 2nd order on tweeters (electrical)) . My first project with those drivers, the VWRs can move serious air.

Dave should be able to post some photos later today?

earth to Dave? ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... the most recent FH-Twin, currently undergoing break-in at Dave's. Think stacked FH3s (no tilt back ). Could accommodate any of the same drivers used in single FH3 - in our case MTM with CSS VWR126 and LDX25 tweeters.

Twin-FH3-1st-pix.jpg

dave

Are we there yet??

Hi, not wishing to be pushy in any and I know all great things take time but.... any thoughts as to when the FHXL plans will be released for public consumption?

I have a pair of MA10.3 just arrived in country and I am eager to build.

I have a pair of MA7.3 in FH3 cabs and I am sooo happy with them. The 7.3s are destined to go to my "music room" paired with 2 GW1858 H frames just built. The 10.3 FHXL will reside in my lounge, looking forward to that extra bit of bass and power handling.

I would be more than happy to pay for the FHXL plans, the FH3 have way exceeded my expectations, it will be money well spent.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... any thoughts as to when the FHXL plans will be released for public consumption? ... and I am eager to build.

We are in the phase where we are beta testing (mostly the docs) email me and we can get you hooked up.

I would be more than happy to pay for the FHXL plans

After the beta phase, to aquire plans

dave

Just a quick update as to where I am with my build.

Unfortunately I have had to go back to start cutting the ply again as the first ply sheets I got were peppered with voids once I got to cutting. Finally decided it was not worth the effort to build the cabs with inferior ply. Luckily my supplier was understanding and I now have some marine bonded Meranti ply.

Really happy with the new plywood, its dense, heavy hardwood, 11ply and virtually void free. This is the best ply I have worked with and has great colour and grain as well.

So back to cutting tomorrow, hoping the cabs will be near finished end of the week tho still waiting to hear back about some wool felt.