Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2021, 10:48 PM   #1501
lasercut is offline lasercut  Ireland
diyAudio Member

One problem was the end of blade bending to one side during long cuts, making diagonal cut instead of square, tried a lot of suggestions to avoid it without luck but never tried the straight edge.
With no good ply available, it's between MDF and the softwood planks, I think that most guys here would choose the planks, at least if sound was the only concern.

The angled cuts I mean are on ends of the baffle, back and top pieces, or if you knew that could you explain using the compass?
Interested to see how you get on with the build.
Old 14th June 2021, 11:48 PM   #1502
nandappe is offline nandappe  Japan
diyAudio Member

BG20 is low quarity in all-range and has low volume bass(under 50Hz) at 8" driver.
I think ,we'll be happier with a high quality 5"-6" driver in FH-XL.
MarkAudio MAOP11, MAOP10 and Fostex FE168SS-HP are fantastic driver for FH-XL.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th June 2021, 12:02 AM   #1503
gipetto is offline gipetto  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Well i'd use both mdf and planks if they were available. i find the composite build to be worthwhile, although the steel i used in my cabinet seems to be headache inducing after prolonged usage, not going to do that again.
I wouldn't worry about the angled cuts, i'd cut them at 90 degrees and either fill the cracks with silicone or file them smooth with the anglegrinder. The don't need to mate perfectly, merely be airtight.

I made an improvised compass for the workshop ages ago out of flat steel strap. i sharpened the ends to a point and put a bolt with washers at the join, like an oversized version of something you used in school for maths, or technical graphics. my version was barely 2 feet at its fullest extent, but for the frugelhorn it would need to stretch to the cabinets longest dimension, 70 inches for the rear horn curve, according to the fhmk3.

I haven't thought about how i would use it exactly but it would be similar to how i used it in my school days to draw a triangle, draw a straight line the length of one side, merely set the width of the compass to one side of the triangle and scribe an arc from the end of the line, then repeat from the other end and where both arcs cross that is the third point of the triangle.
compasses are useful because you don't need a right angle or tee square to take a reference from. many of the shapes are located in the middle of the plywood sheets so there will be no convenient straight edge to measure from.

edit, i already own the bg20, i wanted to use them to save money, not spend €715.95 + taxes on a pair of maop11

Last edited by gipetto; 15th June 2021 at 12:25 AM.
Old 15th June 2021, 07:49 PM   #1504
Spica is offline Spica  Canada
diyAudio Member

I will be building the FHXL, and have a source for wool felt (blend), but they are out of 1/2". Would it be okay to use 3/8", or will that screw things up?
I guess I could glue 1/8 and 3/8 to make 1/2" if necessary
Old 15th June 2021, 08:51 PM   #1505
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

gipetto, it’s possible to get excellent sonics in an FHXL for a fraction of the cost of the MAOPs within the Mark Audio line. Several years ago I built “dueling” pairs fitted with FF165WK and A10, and preferred the overall balance of the Alpairs. Current candidates should include, I think, A10P, A10.3, CHN110, Pluvia 11, et cetera.
Old 15th June 2021, 09:09 PM   #1506
gipetto is offline gipetto  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I'm deaf to high frequencies due to anglegrinders so high quality drivers are a waste on me. I like bass in my music.
anyway, i don't want to turn this thread off topic as i didn't create it.
Old 17th June 2021, 05:49 PM   #1507
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I'll have a gander re the TBs.
Hi Scottmoose,
Have you had a chance to look at the W5-2143 to see if it is suitable for FHXL? I was going to recommend this speaker plan to a friend who is looking to build a BLH. I advised him to stay away from the big “box” Fostex plans. Huge and heavy, mediocre sound from what I have heard. Whereas unanimously good reports from FHXL. Also seems to use a whole lot less wood.
Thanks,
X
Old 17th June 2021, 07:23 PM   #1508
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I confess, I haven't (or if I have, I can't remember ) but I will do this evening. Back shortly.
Old 17th June 2021, 07:40 PM   #1509
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
CHN110
Works in FHXL, should work better in Joan (sam i guess the CHR120).

dave
Old 17th June 2021, 09:57 PM   #1510
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Re the TB W5-2143, based on the factory data it'll work fine; double checked & spec. is well within the intended loading range so should be a good combination.

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, moreHide this!Advertise here!