Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2021, 12:25 PM   #1491
LeifB60 is offline LeifB60  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Why are you stuck with Chn-110? Priced or?
Alpair 11MS or Alpair 10P are better drivers.
Old 14th June 2021, 12:40 PM   #1492
gipetto is offline gipetto  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I was recommended it in another thread because it was new to the market, a decent performer and there was a sale on it. I haven't done much pricing among models, don't want to nickle and dime myself to death, though i don't mind shopping around dealers.

I wasn't expecting anyone to want to make a custom joan+ design but if someone already had then that would suit my current driver. I don't mind about speakers being overly large, i would be interested in a design that avoided the many minor shortcomings of my current voigt pipe.

I figure the bg20 thats too large can simply be turned down in volume so it may not be a crucial issue.
I won't buy a markaudio driver without getting the plans though.
Old 14th June 2021, 01:03 PM   #1493
diyAudio Member

There are many designs for the same element. Each driver has its own design. A design may be suitable for other speakers. But it is not certain that it fits everyone with the same size.
Scottmoose knows all about it. Bg 20 probably works in BR and in an FH. But not so good in Joan. It probably needs to be in a bigger box.
Old 14th June 2021, 01:51 PM   #1494
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipetto View Post
out of stock. I think i saw the chn110 mentioned as being in stock in sweden iirc, but i don't see that country listed on the main markaudio dealer list. no rush though, i'm actually terrified of getting a spending addiction. any progress on the iban/bic details for donating. i can always put my drivers into a joan and change out the baffle for a better driver down the line.
Sweden is EU, and most dealers are centered in the Netherlands, Germany and France it seems. Mark Audio is sold in the Dutch shop Soundimport among others. Shipping within the EU is free for order above 100€ there so it does not matter that it's NL.

You can also buy many of them at Strassacker but shipping is not free there. Maybe there are others also, but i don't know them.
Old 14th June 2021, 02:24 PM   #1495
diyAudio Member

There seem to be different amounts for free shipping. The list is here ;
International shipping & returns - SoundImports

Last edited by LeifB60; 14th June 2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 14th June 2021, 03:14 PM   #1496
lasercut is offline lasercut  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I got free shipping to Ireland for the 11MS from soundimports but it technically shouldn't qualify, must really only be €200 to qualify.
Good excuse to spend a bit extra for one of higher end models, after all they are something that could serve you for many years.
Old 14th June 2021, 04:08 PM   #1497
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

They were available i Sweden early on i believe, certainlt Finland.

But things have moved around.

dave
Old 14th June 2021, 05:06 PM   #1498
lasercut is offline lasercut  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Ive wanted to try a FH for long time but the options were either build myself while spending little to nothing with recycled materials or buy flatpack from KJF. For the BB ply alone the flatpack is a great deal so I wouldn't hesitate to buy if I was sure I'd prefer it over other enclosures and it would suit the room but obviously there is no guarantee, the standard DIY build is basically impossible because of limited WW skill/tools

Though with some small adjustments and minor compromises a low precision+cost DIY build may not be out of question anymore.

It would require building half of a twin FHXL, since I noticed the twin uses basically only straight cuts instead of precise angled ones in standard FHs, one of main things making a diy build difficult.

Angles are one thing, there is also long straight cuts. cutting a board into long pieces with a basic jigsaw and sub-mm accuracy is, for me, impossible.
An elegant solution for this is buying 8x1'' planks that has all this cutting done from the factory while at same time being an inexpensive option.

The side panels are a large and tricky shape but since all the inner pieces will sit against the flat surface of panels rough cuts at least wont (within reason) create any seal or joining issues when putting it together. Knowing the cuts don't require utmost accuracy I would be less hesitant about buying a board but I do already have some MDF boards, to buy all materials would only cost around €60.

There are a couple small difficulties remaining but they shouldn't be hard to overcome... that is cutting the angled joint between internal and back piece and adjusting design for 1'' thickness

Last edited by lasercut; 14th June 2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 14th June 2021, 09:55 PM   #1499
gipetto is offline gipetto  Ireland
diyAudio Member

When i was doing my voigt pipe I did all the cuts with an anglegrinder. it's easy to get a straight cut each time without the blade wandering by cutting against a straight edge. I used the edge of the plywood sheet, after i decided to yolo the first rectangle, but a strip of iron clamped to the plywood sheet at each end with a vicegrip would do fine. bear in mind the cuts don't have to be accurate, any imperfections will be sealed with silicone, which will need to be used anyway.
I put a wood screw every 3 inches. the first build used pilot holes for each screw, the second used none. I didn't have any issues as a result.
I think any awkward angles will be easily handled with an improvised compass. honestly, i don't expect to have any issues with the common slanted frugelhorn. i won't be routing any cuts either, which is admittedly not ideal for the driver. it wouldn't make any difference for the bg20 which is internally mounted.
Old 14th June 2021, 10:21 PM   #1500
diyAudio Member

BG 20 have a nice base.
I dont think it need a FH.

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, moreHide this!Advertise here!