Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

DDBH-T17F-AD
39.37in x 10.2in x 16.7in (1000x260x425mm) HxWxD

Victor
60in x 9.5in x 17.5in (1524x241x445mm) HxWxD

Victor is ~ 20" higher than DDBH-T17F-AD but if I'm not mistaken only issue could be that it should be ~ 10' from listening position for the double mouth back horn to come into focus therefore I would guess DDBH-T17-AD should work better in a smaller room

... can't help wonder how 166EsR would do in JOAN horn which I suspect is closer to the Austin A166 horn some have used with 166EsR

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But isn't this a transmissionline and not a horn?

In the broadest sense of the way TL is being used these days (as quarter-wave = TL) a horn is a TL, but The Frugel-Horn is a horn in the stricter sense, and uses a lot of the tricks of the Pioneers.

It acts as a transmission line for the lowest frequency range

The case with all small horns. Scott (@Scottmoose) would have to step in to tell us how much.

He developed the curved shape to virtually increase the size of the mouth.

The purpose of the curved shape is to make a high aspect ratio rectangular mouth look more like a circle.

dave

Reactions: 3 users
The purpose of the curved shape is to make a high aspect ratio rectangular mouth look more like a circle.
Thanks Dave, just to understand better: the curved shape makes the mouth look like a cirche with the diameter equal to the height of the speaker?
Or with a circumference equal to the circumference of the rectangulus (front/back view of the speaker)?

Has the procedure to obtain the radius of the curve ever explained?
Thanks