Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2020, 11:43 AM   #1391
ujju3doc is offline ujju3doc  India
diyAudio Member

@Scottmoose

Those here who have heard Alpair 10p in both cabinets.. can you please comment how much the sound will differ and if the difference is big enough to do the hardwork and build the FHXL cabs if one already has the pensils.

Dave and Zman have already opined on this..what are your thoughts?
Old 10th April 2020, 12:00 PM   #1392
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have no thoughts.

Humour aside, I'm afraid I don't do subjective evaluations because by nature, they're subjective. My opinion doesn't necessarily chime with that of others, and I lack the vocabulary and descriptive sophistication to produce an assessment that will stand a good chance of being generally useful. They're different; FHXL has a slightly broader operating gain BW, optimally loaded for a given acoustic gets a little lower with a little more dynamic range. The pensils are quite good in these senses however, so whether the gains are worth the extra effort is a matter of opinion. Some will think so, so may not. They're different enough to provide a different presentation, but whether you'll like it more I can't say. If you already have the pensils & like them, but wanted tro try something else, I've be aiming for a more dramatic shift in enclosure myself, but YMMV.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 10th April 2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10th April 2020, 12:40 PM   #1393
ujju3doc is offline ujju3doc  India
diyAudio Member

Appreciate it Scott..thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:04 PM   #1394
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
-
FHXL has a slightly broader operating gain BW, optimally loaded for a given acoustic gets a little lower with a little more dynamic range. The pensils are quite good in these senses however, so whether the gains are worth the extra effort is a matter of opinion. Some will think so, so may not. They're different enough to provide a different presentation,
-
I've be aiming for a more dramatic shift in enclosure myself, but YMMV.
Not that I'm interested FHXL, (Joan horn variation is on my to-do list, it's versatile for the driver(s) I have and may possibly get), but care to share a teaser of the idea with us?
Old 11th April 2020, 12:42 AM   #1395
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Unless I missed it in this recent volley of posts re Pensils vis a vis Frugels in any of the current 3weight classes, it bears repeating that one of the penalties of the “horns” is the much larger footprint and required clearance behind and to sides for the maximum benefit.
In this regard, the Pensils or similar topology of monopole MLTL design offer greater flexibility in terms of placement.
I’ve owned several pairs of each type, and once domestic considerations are accounted for, sometimes a “monkey coffin” is the most acceptable compromise.
Old 11th April 2020, 08:59 AM   #1396
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
Not that I'm interested FHXL, (Joan horn variation is on my to-do list, it's versatile for the driver(s) I have and may possibly get), but care to share a teaser of the idea with us?
I'm simply saying that if you want a very dramatic difference in perceived characteristics using a given drive unit, you need to make very dramatic shift in how you use them. Nothing beyond that was implied or intended to be implied. Some may feel FHXL is that, some may not.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 11th April 2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12th April 2020, 02:14 AM   #1397
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

^ Ok got it. Thanks.
Old 12th April 2020, 09:39 AM   #1398
diyAudio Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear before -the tree pollen at the moment is making the top of my head feel like its lifting off so my prose is not great. Not that it normally is for that matter, but better than at the moment. Possibly.
Old 21st April 2020, 11:35 PM   #1399
jdg123 is offline jdg123  United States
diyAudio Member

Red face The most from Frugel Horn XL

I just had a transformative experience with my Frugel Horn XLs. It speaks to the above concerns.

I never before took my best little amp down to the basement to play on the XLs because I thought they needed more power than those two tiny watts. Boy was I wrong.

That “little amp” is a SET 45, home made of course. It just Rocks! The XLs are thriving, big bass... big bad *** bass in fact and they track every nuance so there is no lack anywhere in the timbre and tone.

I had thought I’d just once in a while play the XLs when the mood struck me and I wanted to listen to a small intimate recording. Who’d think that by going flea watt I’d discover the life I thought was denied them for their size and power requirements. They need just a couple watts, really good ones 😀

Sorry the pic posts upside down I find a way to fix it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FHXL-A103-SET45.jpg (111.7 KB, 286 views)
Old 22nd April 2020, 12:50 AM   #1400
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

:^)

And that is with A10.3, A10p — a favourite of those with small amps — is near 3dB more sensitive.

dave

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, moreHide this!Advertise here!