Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2018, 02:40 PM   #1011
GASCo is offline GASCo  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the mitered joints. Very nice! And happy you found a sweet spot
Old 14th June 2018, 11:19 AM   #1012
Nikodemuzz is offline Nikodemuzz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the compliments, gents! I don't know about sweet spot yet, but there has been a definite improvement from the starting point. Pulling the speakers away from the wall helped too. Probably would be beneficial to do that even more, but then the speakers will already be in the way and the local government will start to issue protests. If you know what I mean. =)
Old 14th June 2018, 11:44 AM   #1013
silasmellor is offline silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The Local Government Who Must Be Obeyed... I’m sure the WAF is pretty good on those speakers though? They look great!
Old 14th June 2018, 12:08 PM   #1014
Nikodemuzz is offline Nikodemuzz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silasmellor View Post
The Local Government Who Must Be Obeyed... Iím sure the WAF is pretty good on those speakers though? They look great!
Thank you! My significant other was positively surprised about the end result, so yes, on the most important metric this project was a success.

This has been a lot of fun! I am already starting the next endeavour, which will be a turntable based on the core of an old Lenco.
Old 14th June 2018, 10:48 PM   #1015
falcoron is offline falcoron  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Iíve been using my XLís for a few years now and other speakers come and go st over 5 to 10 tines the price but these have remained!
Was wondering if a base makes any difference to the sound, mine just site on hard floor with nothing on the bottom. Whatís the thought and experience on this please
Old 23rd June 2018, 02:38 AM   #1016
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Nikodemuzz - what a beautiful set of speakers you've created! I've been busy with work lately and am just now finding your images. I LOVE that grain, the finish turned out great! My wife was rather pleased with my FHXLs, they are a bit shorter than my previous speakers and are quite a bit nicer than black rectangles.
Old 7th July 2018, 06:49 AM   #1017
Clinty is offline Clinty
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE163En-S

After stalling the build for years... itís finally playing music.

I donít have any other notable fullrangers to compare with and it is too soon to critique. These fostex havenít played more than a few hours for a proper break in...

So far, they are enjoyable to listen to despite the lack of space for proper placement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6179C968-D246-4261-9A78-4DE0758E387E.jpeg (87.9 KB, 294 views)
Old 15th August 2018, 08:10 PM   #1018
kevner1954 is offline kevner1954  United States
diyAudio Member

There is somewhere here they talk about the breaking in of the ma10.3. Ive been using the ma10 p for about a year now . I have the 10.3 in boxes for about 6 months never used. Looks like I’m only sacrificing 1 dB or so on efficiency. So as all audiophiles that are impatient I’ve decided it’s time to try the metals. I’ve heard it take quite a bit longer for the ma10.3 to break in . Educate me!!! Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 08:15 PM   #1019
diyAudio Member

I don't have the link, but here are the details:

--------------------------------
Please run in the latest Markaudio drivers:

1 - First 100 hours - low volume music only. The music should be general/vocals with modest bass. Please don't use any artificial and/or single tone signal signals this risks creating a memory patten in the outer 7 to 10 micron cone substrate. You can run the drivers in free air or near free air, but pay attention to the physical movement, the driver's power-train should not move more than 1mm.

2 - From 100 hours to 300 hours, gradually increase the load to normal listening levels. Typically and depending on room size, the volumes should be around low 80's dB near constant loads with peak loads not exceeding 86dB. For those without any SPL measuring equipment, set your system to moderate listening levels. You should be able to hold a conversation without raising your voice while the drivers are being run.

3 - From 300 hours out, the driver's power-train will enter its optimal load phase on its suspensions. Markaudio driver suspensions are critical components as they have to cope with long-throw demands of the cone/coil. I recommend some care from 300 to 500 hours as fully optimised suspensions will give you many years of reliable service life. Bass loads are available but go a little easy on the volume until passed 500 hours.

Remember fellas, Markaudio drivers are "long throw" light load units. They will give you allot of wide usable band width but they aren't designed for near constant maxed volume "rock un roll". The latest models have built-in arrestors to help avoid damage from accidental over-load, so this helps but its not a replacement for commence sense operation of these types of drivers, be they Markaudio or other full-rangers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Mark.
Old 15th August 2018, 08:16 PM   #1020
diyAudio Member

Clinty: LOVE that two-tone wood work on your FHXLs! Very nice!

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, moreHide this!Advertise here!