Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

mark audio chr 70.3 vs dayton audio rs-100
mark audio chr 70.3 vs dayton audio rs-100
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
f16voodoo1 is offline f16voodoo1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default mark audio chr 70.3 vs dayton audio rs-100

hi ,
lance here from NYC. ive got a question for you knowledgeable people. im considering a change from the DA rs-100 to the mark MA chr 70.3. other than the hole to be adjusted the enclosure is a perfect fit for the MA. how do you folks stack the MA against the dayton.????
Old 20th November 2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When you say 'a perfect fit' in what sense precisely do you mean? For example, a QB3 aligned vented box (which I do not recommend, but it serves as a comparative baseline) for the Dayton is a little over 4 litres whereas the CHR wants over 15 & a completely different Fb. Ditto for sealed; for a Qtc of ~0.7, a little under 2 litres for the Dayton plays ~8 litres for the CHR (Nb. these are stock acoustic suspension volumes without accounting for damping).

Enclosure alignments aside, the CHR is a slightly larger unit & is basically a bit more capable than the Dayton when used full-range, with a somewhat more linear response in the HF, and greater dynamic range thanks to the larger cone & slightly higher efficiency.
Old 20th November 2013, 08:38 PM   #3
BeauB is offline BeauB
diyAudio Member

FYI - Dayton is coming out with an RS-100 with a paper cone, as well as the current metal cone version.
Old 20th November 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

well the box is 8.99 liters the MA numbers came out like this.. f3 =48.13 fb =48.13 the port = 1 2.5cm and length is 5.19. after i plugged in the numbers the MA fit excluding the hole adjustment...all i really wanted was some input on the difference if there is one. the dayton sounds fine to my ears...but if some of you guys think there is a significat difference i would like to hear about your thoughts
Old 20th November 2013, 09:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauB View Post
FYI - Dayton is coming out with an RS-100 with a paper cone, as well as the current metal cone version.
well then, maybe i'll just build a pensil put the MA in that and then i'll try all three and make some evaluations...assuming of course that the new rs-100 is the same size as the one i have..i was just wondering about some of your sonic impressions..since i see that many have so many types of drivers available to each of you
Old 20th November 2013, 09:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That's a revolting box alignment for the Dayton. Somewhat better, ironically enough, for the CHR, although it ideally prefers a slightly larger volume. Otherwise, the CHR is a step above the Dayton when run full-range, IMO.
Old 20th November 2013, 09:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
That's a revolting box alignment for the Dayton. Somewhat better, ironically enough, for the CHR, although it ideally prefers a slightly larger volume. Otherwise, the CHR is a step above the Dayton when run full-range, IMO.
lol, well i sure didnt mean to get you SICK...i hope you will recover...i just wanted some SONIC impressions from YOUR point of view.. thats it
Old 21st November 2013, 09:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I don't give subjective views since that is exactly what they are, and I lack the writing skill of people like Srajan at 6moons to communicate impressions which have a reasonable chance of carrying over. I gave some basic pointers however in post2.
Old 22nd November 2013, 04:23 AM   #9
tuxedocivic is offline tuxedocivic  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm with Scott on this. The CHR will probably best the Dayton because it'll make better bass which will contribute to a more hifi experience. Not sure what the RS100 is like in the top end, but it would have to be fairly spectacular to overcome the bass advantage.

mark audio chr 70.3 vs dayton audio rs-100Hide this!Advertise here!