Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ideas wanted. Speakers in fire surround.
Ideas wanted. Speakers in fire surround.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2013, 09:17 PM   #1
jimbo1968 is offline jimbo1968  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Ideas wanted. Speakers (no longer) in fire surround.

Rather than buy a new smart TV with inbuilt speakers and a 900 hang on the wall gas fire which is what I would have done if I wasn't paying the current plan agreed between my parents(houseowners) and me (lodger) is to stick with my very old plasma TV and to build a fire surrond with built in speakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

I currently run a 4.1 system with FR125s in sealed boxes, and 2 sealed subs. This will be an AV downgrade, the rears are going, and I'm happy with less bass.

My first idea is a simple 2 small full range drivers, either sealed or ported maybe. Looking for your suggestions, drivers available or cheap to post to UK.

Then as I write this I'm thinking of the various slim horns I've seen on here, maybe two of those as upright?

As drawn the sections are 160mm square. 19mm MDF then gives about 14l in the horizontal and 10l in each leg.

All ideas/ thoughts welcome.

Last edited by jimbo1968; 11th November 2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: title change
Old 11th November 2013, 06:38 PM   #2
jimbo1968 is offline jimbo1968  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good job not too many people jumped in with ideas

New plan is to separate the TV from the fire. Therefore some kind of soundbar built into a TV stand/ hifi rack will be the project.
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Ideas wanted. Speakers in fire surround.Hide this!Advertise here!