4" Full Range for boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, been reading with great interest about full range speaker cones this month... can anyone suggest a good 4" cone that has good bass detail/ extension and a kind of warm sound rather than analytical/surgical flat monitor style = fat bass with slightly recessed treble .

I'm not expecting much at this size under $100 for 2 cones
. It is just my first fun attempt to put something together myself before moving on to something bigger/better.

So far I found on one FR speaker selling site :

Fostex FE103En 4"

Fostex FE126En 4"

Markaudio CHR-70A

Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-04 4"

Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-04 4"

If there is anything on ebay etc that I've not dug up yet please let me know !

Dying to get this DIY project up and running !

Also, do the cones just attach to the terminals through the speaker cabinets ?
Can they dangle or need to be tacked along the iternal MDF ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Neither of the 2 Fostex will do the job, the FE103 is bass limited and the larger FE126 wants to be in a horn.

You might find the CHR a little tipped up, you might want to consider the CHP70.2

I can't speak for the SEAS, but from the spec it isn't going to be bass capable either, the woven poly cone, as a generalization, gets good marks.

dave

Neither of the 2 Fostex will do the job, the FE103 is bass limited and the larger FE126 wants to be in a horn.

You might find the CHR a little tipped up, you might want to consider the CHP70.2

I can't speak for the SEAS, but from the spec it isn't going to be bass capable either, the woven poly cone, as a generalization, gets good marks.

dave

Is it this one Dave ?

CHP-70A-P Gen. 2 Full Range audio driver, 4" Natural Paper Cone with Excursion Arrestor

Sorry, what does tipped up mean...treble slanted ? I might add the speaker use is just for EDM ...electronic music from dawn to dusk !

Last edited:
Good morning,
A pair of the HiWave BMR65 will fit your bill.
Inexpensive, you get some great bass (for the size) and a wide dispersion (good off-axis frequency response). You need about 0.20 ft.³ per speaker -> two separate compartments in your boom box and a pair of speaker port tubes.
In this case you can connect the the drivers (speakers) straight to the terminals.
Fill the compartments loosely with some polyfill like Acousta-Stuf or the plastic fiber filling of a cheap pillow like this one from Ikea ;)

Have fun building!

Last edited:
Good morning,
Inexpensive, you get some great bass (for the size) and a wide dispersion (good off-axis frequency response). You need about 0.20 ft.³ per speaker -> two separate compartments in your boom box and a pair of speaker port tubes.
In this case you can connect the the drivers (speakers) straight to the terminals.
Fill the compartments loosely with some polyfill like Acousta-Stuf or the plastic fiber filling of a cheap pillow like this one from Ikea ;)

Have fun building!

Nice those speakers look cool. I'll have to see if that site ships to Asia.
I searched ebay for those cones but no luck....they look like they have similar dispersion like Mission M-Cubes.... very interesting !

I second Dave's recommendation for the Mark Audio CHP-70.2. I have a pair and they are a great speaker, especially considering their low cost. They're manufactured to be "crossoverless" and "filterless." With a little imagination, the required cabinet size should work well for a boombox.
What amp are you going to use?
Mike

great more cones to read up on...never hear of these... though last one is out my budget...about $50 each.

You lucky North Americans... parts express won't let buyers outside North America get pre-order on the restocked ones below when I looked at getting them !

Isn't there a law against that in the U.S. ? Discrimination by any other name.
HiWave HIBM65C20F-8 3-1/2" BMR Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm 297-2156

I second Dave's recommendation for the Mark Audio CHP-70.2. I have a pair and they are a great speaker, especially considering their low cost. They're manufactured to be "crossoverless" and "filterless." With a little imagination, the required cabinet size should work well for a boombox.
What amp are you going to use?
Mike

NEW Indeed Class T Amp TA2021 25WX2 for this side-line project....

Moving on to a NAD D3020 30 watts amp later once I see if I can complete the project.

Last edited:
+1 on this recommendation. I have a pair that are going into a pair of small boxes, and they are really great for the price. Surprisingly good bass and the dispersion will also be a great bonus for this application.

A few years ago I built a boombox, and the plan was to use 4" tangbands. But I realized they sounded the best directly in front of them. When I moved around the room, a lot of the treble would disappear. Most fullrangers will have the same problem, the BMRs however don't.
I ended up using a 2-way coaxial driver instead since I hadn't heard about the BMRs at that point.

Good morning,

Have fun building!

Those "HiWave" look ideal. Haven't heard them, but that would be my choice. Perhaps use two of those per side. They are cheap.

The Fostex drivers and the CHR70 are going to be too analytical and hifi for this application IMO. If anything, two FE87 per side will come closer to the warm sound you are after.

Haven't heard the Seas, but bass extension is going to drop like a brick below 102.5Hz (Fs).

Yeah, I had thought of 2 s-b-s and angling the corner one off to increase the already great dispersal.
Can any of you guys suggest a good amp pairing (even the bare circuit board type) ?
Did you run it purely off mains or managed to get some kind of battery pack installed.
I have still not worked out how, say an ipod dock manages to get output to the speakers...but anyway, fun geekfest side project !

Hi Jaxhouse

Thought I would share my portable boombox project using M/A drivers.

Decided to build modular initially until all good them build one complete unit...has been running for the last three days on one charge.

Here are some details.

Speakers - M/A CHBW-70 and M/A No4 Tweeter crossed @ 4k
Port - M/A 35mm dia
Enclosure - MDF 8.8 litre
Amp - Hifimediy T1x4 4 channel amp (20 - 32v DC supply only)
DSP - MiniDSP (using volume control from DSP also) and miniDC Isolator to delay powering up of the amp.

Battery - 2 x 12v 12Ah connected in series for 24v

Audio source is currently a Viako media pc but will eventually use mini pc with 3G and 7" touch screen.

Batteries are surplus from medical equipment...these will be housed in the centre section along with the amp and MiniDSP.

Overall size is 640l x 250h x 250d, total finished weight will be just under 20kg.

Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_5945.jpg
    IMG_5945.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 260
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.