Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12" Full Range Speaker Recomendation Help
12" Full Range Speaker Recomendation Help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2013, 02:54 AM   #1
c208driver is offline c208driver  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 12" Full Range Speaker Recomendation Help

I would like to add some fidelity to the pictured cabinet (circa 1960ish) with a more modern 12" full ranch quality speaker. The speaker will be powered by a restored Heathkit integrated TUBE amp & separate tuner. The cabinet internal dimensions are 23x16x16.

My questions are:

1. Can any improvement be made to the cabinet internals?

2. Suggestions on a good full range speaker in the $400-$800/pair range? I'm looking at Audio Nirvana 12" as one option, but would like additional thoughts.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (582.3 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (491.6 KB, 617 views)
Old 20th October 2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

You might want to consider using a coaxial driver. Here's a link from parts express.

Coaxial Full-Range Speakers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 32 - 497|3924

You would have to add a tweeter to the back of the driver as well as a crossover that could be mounted inside the box.

The reason I suggest this is because it looks like it would be difficult to cut out a tweeter hole since you must want to preserve the fabric front.

Another option that would allow you to retain the original fabric front would be a top mounted tweeter. See the link for an example:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss.../madisound.jpg

or

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2007/Photos/DSCN2937.JPG

The AN driver might be a good option too but you would have to see if it would provide satisfying bass in that cabinet. The dimensions you posted result in just over 3 cubic feet. Perhaps the AN works well in this cabinet volume and is the best option?

Curious, is this going to be a mono setup or stereo?

Zilla
Old 20th October 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Rev. Billy Bob is offline Rev. Billy Bob  United States
diyAudio Member

The box looks like it has a cut out for a horn on the top of the baffle. If it were me, I'd just pick a woofer that worked well in that volume and make an econowave-type speaker.
Old 20th October 2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't bet on a modern driver necessarily improving on it. Maybe, maybe not. There aren't all that many good ones out there. The ANs might be, but I've seen a pair of the 12s measure a long way off advertised spec. so YMMV. The automatic recommendation would be the Great Planes Audio built Altec Model 212-8A, but I suspect you'd need to save up a while longer. And ideally, build a box that would do proper justice to them.

As Jeff says, you might want to consider the pro-market; either a good coax or something like a big Eminence widebander with tweeter support.

Some damping in the box wouldn't go amiss.
Old 20th October 2013, 11:42 AM   #5
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

A suggestion:
If you add a T35 supertweeter the sound is still in the style of the time. Maybe it's better to use EV drivers for the fullrange section, too. AFAIK they have a much higher reputation than the Lafayette drivers. 12" drivers usually need a supertweeter even with whizzer.

Last edited by el`Ol; 20th October 2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 20th October 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
gafhenderson is offline gafhenderson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The only good 12" full range driver is the EMS lb12 ands its very expensive.

Coax's are a good idea but you have to get a good one, so expensive again.
Old 20th October 2013, 02:45 PM   #7
kevinr is offline kevinr  United States
diyAudio Member

The AN cast frame 12's are great , big soundstage and good sound.
But in a tall 2.8 cu. ft. at my house the bass was fairly lean . I didn't have the room for a 6 ft. cabinet for them nor the space or inclination for adding subwoofers.
Old 20th October 2013, 04:03 PM   #8
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

One could also think about the Isophon Orchester, but putting a German classic into an American vintage enclosure seem a bit weird.
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40

Last edited by el`Ol; 20th October 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 21st October 2013, 02:31 AM   #9
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

having never heard one, I'll 4th the an12.

I think the 12" audio nirvana would be sweet with a 10 band equalizer ($300 pair + $30 10 band eq from pawn shop).

That Nirvana driver wants a big ported or open baffle, but if you seal it, it might be ok.

That box you have is 16" wide and 24" deep ?
If you surround the back of the driver with foam, you may like it as an "open backed box", but you may want a subwoofer with it also, and placement will be tricky.

Bigun had luck with an open backed box 2' wide x 2' deep x 4' tall.

I'm more into hinged wings, but you already have a box completed, and it looks retro cool also.

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 21st October 2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 21st October 2013, 04:15 AM   #10
murphythecat8 is offline murphythecat8  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I wouldn't bet on a modern driver necessarily improving on it. Maybe, maybe not. There aren't all that many good ones out there. The ANs might be, but I've seen a pair of the 12s measure a long way off advertised spec. so YMMV. The automatic recommendation would be the Great Planes Audio built Altec Model 212-8A, but I suspect you'd need to save up a while longer. And ideally, build a box that would do proper justice to them.

As Jeff says, you might want to consider the pro-market; either a good coax or something like a big Eminence widebander with tweeter support.

Some damping in the box wouldn't go amiss.
that pretty much
I would go with a BC coaxial, or the great plains audio.
then add sub

12" Full Range Speaker Recomendation HelpHide this!Advertise here!