Waterproof speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

My friend is interested in creating a few speaker boxes to go on his bicycle. He is fabricating the boxes out of sheet metal, so the boxes themselves are waterproof. However, he was thinking about just letting the face of the speaker sit open in the air. I told him that we would have to find some way to prevent water (rain or otherwise) from hitting the cones, otherwise the speaker cones would start to disintegrate pretty fast. I was thinking even the rubber ones wouldn't do so well.

Do I need to get marine speakers for such an application? Or something else? Thanks!

Attachments

• visaton_292-500_h.jpg
    visaton_292-500_h.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 220
  • visaton_292-500_hi.jpg
    visaton_292-500_hi.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 226
  • visaton_292-500_hii.jpg
    visaton_292-500_hii.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 216
Hi,

FWIW basically no. Plastic coned and surrounded drivers will
be fine. Many car speakers will be suitable in sealed boxes,
but go for dual cones not coaxials (they are not sealed).

Dash, Door & Deck Car Speakers in the Car Audio Department at Parts Express | 390 - 25423|4135

rgds, sreten.

Your friend is about to find out how onerous the physics
of small drivers in open air is compared to in a room.
For music on the move open headphones / earphones
are far more effective than speakers on a bycycle.

Last edited:
We are totally fine with going with larger speakers as well. Weight isn't too much of a factor, since this will be a cargo bike anyway. Maybe some midrange speakers and some subs. What do you think would work the best?

Since we live in the pacfic NW, it rains quite often, so I wanted to be absolutely sure that plastic speakers will work even if they are gonna be soaking wet and 40 degrees F 90% of the time. What about rubber for that matter? Thanks!

Hi,

What will work best depends on a lot of things, not least
a realistic understanding of what is possible, and within
that remit going for a solution best suited to your wants.

If your wants and needs are unrealistic, there is no solution.

Whatever you build its going to be very compromised due to
the application, and getting the right compromises matters.

No details of whatever is supposed to drive the speakers.

rgds, sreten.

No details of whatever is supposed to drive the speakers.

We are going to use a car receiver to drive the midrange speakers, probably some random receiver from goodwill or similar.

The receiver will probably be around 50 watts peak (like many random car receivers I have seen) although more power would be nice. The receiver will need to have sub output of course.

Probably going to use a car audio power amp to drive the subs.

If you have any suggestions, I would be glad to hear them as well. Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.