Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)
The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2020, 10:27 AM   #6261
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

To come back to the vertical "beaming" of an array (see a few posts up) the following post will bring it nicely into perspective, look at a few quick sims of a Harsch type crossover and a three-way here: S. Harsch XO
Old 4th August 2020, 11:27 AM   #6262
diyAudio Member

On a different note, all audio equipment is gone from the living room awaiting some remodeling/renovation. So I'll be without it for a while .
But, this gave me the courage to operate the arrays to incorporate the frequency dependent shading, so every negative has a positive side?

Last weekend we had a run of movies, knowing the equipment would be gone soon.
If things get any better I'll be in heaven .
Old 4th August 2020, 12:18 PM   #6263
Drengur is offline Drengur  Iceland
diyAudio Member

If you need someone to look after your stuff while you're renovating, just give me a call
Old 4th August 2020, 12:26 PM   #6264
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
To come back to the vertical "beaming" of an array (see a few posts up) the following post will bring it nicely into perspective, look at a few quick sims of a Harsch type crossover and a three-way here: S. Harsch XO
I have to agree with the comment in that thread about "vertical polars being a a little lopsided". Yes, the vertical response of our arrays is not as uniform as we would like - standing isn't near as good as seated height with most setups - but its better than any other architecture I've looked at other than Synergy.

Her, BTW, is what I came up with for polars of a TC9 Tekton array with a central generic 3/4" tweeter

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)-tekton-tc9-central-tweeter-polars-jpg

Horizontally, the array's response is narrow and gets broadened by the central tweeter above XO at 8 khz. Its also narrow vertically but at least its not lopsided
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tekton tc9 central tweeter polars.jpg (93.8 KB, 188 views)
Old 4th August 2020, 01:19 PM   #6265
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

I know. I was lazy and used a tweeter I already had directivity for. Given the way the polars are synthesized, after vituix mirror equalization, all drivers with the same piston diameter will have the same polars. that is why I called it generic tweeter.

If I could trace the graph in the linked tweeter, I could have real directivity but that graph looked to dim to me for tracing. I would certainly use that tweeter if my goal was passive XO because its response is so smooth and flat on its own.
Old 4th August 2020, 09:53 PM   #6266
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc535 View Post
I have to agree with the comment in that thread about "vertical polars being a a little lopsided". Yes, the vertical response of our arrays is not as uniform as we would like - standing isn't near as good as seated height with most setups - but its better than any other architecture I've looked at other than Synergy.

Her, BTW, is what I came up with for polars of a TC9 Tekton array with a central generic 3/4" tweeter

Horizontally, the array's response is narrow and gets broadened by the central tweeter above XO at 8 khz. Its also narrow vertically but at least its not lopsided
Is this a group of tweeters only? In a "Tekton like" grouping? The bottom end doesn't look like array directivity...
Old 4th August 2020, 10:50 PM   #6267
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

that was the standard tekton array of columns of 2:3:2 devices, In this case, all TC9sexcept for the central tweeter all at 84 mm spacing

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)-tc9-oc25-tekton-screenshot-jpg

room response curve is just wall reflections. there aren't any above 1 khz due to the directivity and 45 degree toe in.

Its not line array directivity at the low end, the array isn't long enough. You could make it longer and extend the vertical control lower ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc9 oc25 tekton screenshot.jpg (149.3 KB, 168 views)
Old 9th August 2020, 10:31 AM   #6268
diyAudio Member

20200806_102800.jpg
Attachment 866779

Last edited by wesayso; 9th August 2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 9th August 2020, 10:45 AM   #6269
krivium is online now krivium  France
diyAudio Member

He he now your commited!
Old 9th August 2020, 10:58 AM   #6270
diyAudio Member

We are finally getting rid of that awful metal ceiling . Once this is all done I'll 'operate' on the arrays to include frequency dependent shading.
After that is done I'll start with building my 6 channel pré-amp. It will take me quite a while before its all finished. No telling what the outcome will be. With this many changes I'll have to start all over again.

There's more to come, the windows will be replaced with glass having better insulation properties, making the space more quiet. Good for comfort and good for audio .

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)Hide this!Advertise here!