Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2019, 10:43 PM   #5491
wesayso is online now wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I noticed the G-sync update on the LG's
I've read quite a bit of reviews, forums etc to know what I was getting into with this TV.
I actually use the game mode as the Home Theatre environment. The PC mode is somewhat crippled on the LG's so it seems.

So far I like what I see (understatement). I spend this afternoon hanging it on the wall, some things had to be altered or moved as this TV is quite a bit bigger. Had to shorten a windowsill to get enough space. It's still hanging quite a bit off center as I won't move or alter the window we have in that wall .

Hopefully next weekend will be dedicated to the subs again. As soon as I finish those I'll take a picture of this change.
Old 4th December 2019, 07:07 PM   #5492
diyAudio Member

I'm loving this TV, the movie mode is extraordinary when playing the clips in 24 frame mode from JRiver. It even has the option to turn on black frame insertion, which playing back at 120 Hz seems to work, but I can't say I prefer it over the native judder free playback.

The 120 Hz makes playback of 24 frame content smooth, without the 3:2 pulldown judder (you'd get at 60Hz). Just as it should be/look for Film.

Even my old 25 frames/s content (DVD PAL) can be slowed down to 24 frames/s with Videoclock active in JRiver. The upscaling is partly done in MadVR (up to 1080p), it still is quite presentable to watch, even on this 4K screen. Somehow I can't get 4K through my long HDMI cable.

60 frames is kept at 60 frames, I doubt if I have real 50 frame content.
Picture quality is awesome, even if I feed it 1080p. I must say I still prefer MadVR over just a regular feed. Whenever there is more scaling needed that difference becomes even larger.

I've had quite a bit of fun to go through all of the options/modes and love this screen more and more. Those setting linked by Robbintip definitely give a good starting point. For PC I first had to do a couple of other tweaks and I adjusted the overall colors using my THX glasses. The results are worth it!

In other news, the Rockford Fosgate covers (cat protectors are in, so I can think of a way to get them into place. They are indeed about ~289mm as I had figured from the pictures. I think the look will grow on me.
Old 4th December 2019, 08:41 PM   #5493
deanoUK is offline deanoUK  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have the same TV.
Have a look at some Nextflix Dolby Vision content.
Old 5th December 2019, 12:00 AM   #5494
diyAudio Member

Still have to try that, looking forward to testing it but do not have a Netflix account.

This TV gets a lot of praise in reviews, I can see why.
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #5495
diyAudio Member

As this new TV brings a lot of joy to watch movies (not only my opinion ), I better get off my butt and finish those subs! Finally the screen somewhat fits the sound...

The protective screens are indeed about 289mm which means I need to cut into my fancy fresh layer of epoxy/boat paint ...
I wish I would have taken this "cat threat" more serious when I was still in the design phase. It has been on my mind, but why didn't I act on it sooner, oh well... off to the garage to see what i can do about it now.

Last edited by wesayso; Today at 12:56 PM.
Old Today, 06:12 PM   #5496
diyAudio Member

Cat protector is on...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I had to cut a groove to fit it (original hole was 280mm, protector was ~290mm).

I used the router table and covered the surface of the table with a towel to protect the paint. Worked like a charm. I glued the protector in place (Bison Polymax, a rubbery glue) and also used small nails to make sure it will stay there. Space between dustcap and the grille is just over 25mm to cover x-mech (not x-max) distance. The screen is bent inwards in the middle, the surrounds have plenty of room to move.

Not as pretty as seeing the naked driver but it will do. This Rockford Fosgate protection screen was the most open screen I could find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat-protection.jpg (120.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg catprotection2.jpg (147.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by wesayso; Today at 06:16 PM.

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)Hide this!Advertise here!