Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)
The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2019, 12:11 PM   #4851
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

One word.... projector!

I know I told you before, but it's the easiest sell to a wife/girlfriend who wouldn't like to have a big expensive black screen in the living room at all times.

A small projector hidden in the coffee table or on the ceiling (the white ones blend very well with houses with white ceilings), and the screen that is retractable (mine is by hand, I didn't go for the expensive motorized setup!). Those two make a very clean looking living room.

Could even add some more art / sound panel on that wall for audio duties and aesthetics. Something Zeppelin again?

On the audio side, it's quite funny. I was a surround-sound nutty (how many times did I watch the "WOW!" DVD???), but lately, I have been watching movies in 2.0 and having speakers that cover deep and high FR, and a wide coverage, I don't miss having to deal with surround channels, center, etc....
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:33 PM   #4852
wesayso is online now wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I keep trying to convince her .

That's what I would love to try. I have the sound to back it up (and then some).
My son said he's looking forward to see Bohemian Rhapsody with real good sound at home.
Going to the movies is fun, but the sound at home has his preference. I see lots of smiles per minute on that face of his .

I must say, 4.0 works way above my own expectations here. I may post a lot, but am happy to say I actually do book progress sound wise!
Surround sound is not a mere gimmick, it really does work when properly adjusted.
Still wondering why on earth I'm building subwoofers though . Ever since the 350 watt/channel powerhouse build by koldby is backing up the mains it has become a much more impressive bottom end.
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:50 PM   #4853
diyAudio Member

C'mon! Should be an easy sell!
A clean looking living room, versus a big black screen (when not in use).

Your 4.0 is ambiance, it's not the surround back channels from the movie's audio, right?

I liked Bohemian Rhapsody. Rami got the Golden Globe and Oscar for good reasons. Too bad it wasn't him singing!

I heard another good track lately, that should sound amazing on your arrays.

Free, by Primal Scream - Give Out But Don't Give Up - The Original Memphis Recordings.
Pretty cool!

YouTube
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:54 PM   #4854
diyAudio Member

It actually is the back channels from the movie audio (but delayed by 15 extra ms) that feeds my ambient speakers (and nothing else gets mixed in). The only 2 channels that get no other treatment from me (well aside from that delay I mentioned and the band pass I've set on them).

I'll see if I can get that track to try
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:56 PM   #4855
diyAudio Member

k, so you have a movie "zone" and a 2.0 music listening "zone" in JRiver ... I missed that post... sorry!
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:57 PM   #4856
diyAudio Member

Listening to your youtube link right now trough headphones, yes! I'm going to have to try that one!

Current zones in JRiver:
The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)-jriverzones-jpg

As you see, only one Home Theatre setting and lots of experimental Stereo zones to play with. An on-going journey to discover the wonders of sound perception, or something like that . Oh, and one Headphone setting, courtesy of BYRTT, to suit my OB-1 Status Audio phones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JRiverzones.jpg (42.0 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by wesayso; 3rd March 2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 8th March 2019, 02:30 PM   #4857
samuelj is offline samuelj  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Wesayso, how is the subwoofer build going on? Long time no update. Hope I didn't miss anything. Big thread!
Old 8th March 2019, 05:09 PM   #4858
diyAudio Member

You didn't mis it. I'm waiting for better weather to be able to finish the enclosure.
I still need to order a few parts to house the amplifier modules and then its on to paint, with a similar scheme as the mains. Epoxy with filll followed by a boat paint.

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)Hide this!Advertise here!