The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. It looks like you're finding your way just fine. I still would like to eventually find out for sure why you don't get a flat response with PT bypassed and a flat PS target....

I switched yesterday from the erb preset with PT engaged, to the min preset with PT bypassed (flat PS on both). I use PLStartFreq to adjust the tonal balance. Both of these sound very good (and similar) to me, and the latter is actually flat at my seat. Maybe sitting only 5' from the speakers and a wood environment have something to do with it...

Anyway, it's more fun than swapping cables wouldn't you say?

It's definitely more fun than swapping cables :D.
You're able to shape the sound to your liking, and a very slight change can do a lot to the sound! The differences between good and great are very small i.m.h.o.

I thinks the surroundings and materials in the room can have a lot to do with the perception of the sound. Like I said before, I have a metal ceiling, wooden floor, lots of glass but it isn't a nightmare in general conversation etc. RT60 is below 0.5 ms except at ~100-200Hz, some room stuff getting in the way there.
My measurements today were both speakers playing and measured at listening position, 3 meter from the speakers. I think it's awesome to get it this good in a normal living room!
That will be my next goal to optimise. I see a difference between left and right and although the position isn't symmetrical maybe I can get it a bit better. Maybe some damping to the side of that tower would help.

Here's the waterfall plot for the distortion graph I posted:
waterfall-7.jpg

Last edited:
While it could do something good for the room it won't be at a first reflection point. That's what I meant. On the opposite wall I have a big poster I've been Eyeing to convert to a damping panel. Right now it's got a reflective acrillic glass front. It looks like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'd like to somehow recreate that on a damping panel. It's 100 x 153 cm

Not yet, but I'll see what I can do. Right now just looking for ways to soften the first reflections. Acoustic is not bad at all as with most old houses (build in 1927).

Working on the recreation of my poster for a cotton print:
voorbeeld.jpg

Looking into the spoonflower web service and their Kuna Cotton material, thanks koldby!
(the above picture in my quote is not my actual poster, my poster is in better shape but shows it's age after 20+ years...)

Last edited:
The material should read: Kona Cotton, before anyone searches for an impossible to find material ;). Order is placed, for a second time. I realised the print might turn out a little smaller so I had to make sure that wouldn't be a problem. Surprisingly affordable though!

Yes!
I made a second order for some posters I have used for panels in my listening room as well.
Holeheartly recomended as art decors as well as acustic treatments.

Koldby

Just had a friend come listen to my work so far and was hoping he'd have some comments I could work with. Sadly for me it was all praises :). He was very impressed with the sound and kind of like the cliché goes; heard all kinds of things in music well known to him he had never heard before.
I'll invite more people to come over and listen as I'm very curious to know if they share my enthusiasm for what I am hearing.

PS. after the first few notes he immediately asked if I had subs playing (lol).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just had a friend come listen to my work so far and was hoping he'd have some comments I could work with. Sadly for me it was all praises :). He was very impressed with the sound and kind of like the cliché goes; heard all kinds of things in music well known to him he had never heard before.
I'll invite more people to come over and listen as I'm very curious to know if they share my enthusiasm for what I am hearing.

PS. after the first few notes he immediately asked if I had subs playing (lol).

:cheers:

This is what it is all about!

Who said the TC9FD can't make any bass?

Thanks guys, I decided to take things a step further.
All my processing was based on single measurements. So now it's time to translate that to my listening area. I decided to take multiple measurements spanning my desired 3 seat area on the couch. Here's the measurements:
couch%20sweep.jpg

6 measurements spanning my 3 seat area (not exact locations, just moved the mic in equal amounts by eye)

One thing to notice is the even response in the Bass area. As I said earlier in my subjective notes the bass feels even and equal in a wide area.
The mids show more peaks and dips but considering wave lengths and distance to left and right speaker that's no surprise.

If I let REW average the above measurements I get the following graph:
average%20couch.jpg

Not bad at all! Showing a remarkable resemblance to my favoured curve.
So yes there is a sweet spot, but all seats get good sound from only one measurement as the base for processing.
This test was done with both speakers playing.

Any comments?

Last edited:
A while ago I was conceptualizing a line source subwoofer system with a bunch of 5" seas drivers, utilizing a similar bass-lift in a sealed enclosure. a very low q, corner loading and the necessary peq to make it linear to sub 20 Hz ..... maybe even 15 Hz in room .....

Yours tests qualify that this concept would probably work too P.