Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2017, 07:35 PM   #3991
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Don, when thinking about what to do for a stereo system I seriously considered going Omni, as well as OB. We all know what I ended up with, no regrets though, but its always interesting to read up on other ways and experiences to get to that audio nirvana.

I changed back to a longer delay between the main peak and the ambience again. This is the presentation that just works better for me.

However this experiment did allow me to re-adjust bits and pieces of the ambient curves. So I actually gained something by doing it.

Still wondering how I could "sell" a center channel after I had to make a promise not to add any more speakers in the room .

I could fix something temporary for experiments, but what if it works!

I do believe an Omni or OB has advantages for the phantom center perception. The spread out (even timbre) reflections do fill in the stereo cross talk holes that the stereo concept has by design. The absence of reflections does highlight that cross talk problem. While my mid/side EQ works, together with the added ambience, I've heard so many different variations up till today that I'm sure if I can combine all the best parts of all that I heard into one working correction it could be mind blowing good!
If I never get there, it's not because I didn't try .

Last edited by wesayso; 22nd November 2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:48 PM   #3992
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Ronald, sorry to ask - this may have been covered somewhere in the previous 400 pages, but do you have photos or sketches of room and placement of your towers?

I've mentioned in various threads and private messages that larger OBs, dipole panels and dominating line array towers are not likely to pass my DAF test -which, as I hope to have at least another couple of decades of connubial bliss is far more important to me than the moving target of ultimate audio " nirvana", so this is really just a question of curiosity.
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:04 PM   #3993
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

LOL... because its true. New speakers are much cheaper than a new spouse.
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:24 PM   #3994
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Ronald, sorry to ask - this may have been covered somewhere in the previous 400 pages, but do you have photos or sketches of room and placement of your towers?

I've mentioned in various threads and private messages that larger OBs, dipole panels and dominating line array towers are not likely to pass my DAF test -which, as I hope to have at least another couple of decades of connubial bliss is far more important to me than the moving target of ultimate audio " nirvana", so this is really just a question of curiosity.
I always wanted to draw a plan view but never got around to it. This room overview should show most of it though:
Click the image to open in full size.
Front wall to back wall distance is 4.3 m.

Behind both curtains are damping panels to absorb early reflections. As well as the poster seen on the left behind the couch. This is one half of the living room, behind the camera position there's an equally sized space.

For me, the beauty of this concept is the small floor space needed for some pretty powerful and captivating sound. All tucked away against the wall leaving maximum floor space available for actual 'living' purposes.
The enclosures themselves fit on an A4 size paper. The feet are slightly larger to keep it stable. Maybe my girl is a special breed though, to allow me to have such huge towers in our living room.

Most people that walk in here for a first time, don't even seem to notice them at first glance, however hard that is to believe. While standing in the room they suddenly glance at those monsters and look up and down in wonder. It remains cute to see that reaction .

This post contains a view from the couch, as BYRTT and xrk971 were visiting.
Looking the other way would look like this:
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by wesayso; 22nd November 2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:29 PM   #3995
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

thanks

my first reaction is - gee, needs a bigger TV - which honestly is something my wife still asks occasionally, even after upgrading to a 65" Vizio - she doesn't spend a lot of time in that room.

yes I'm fully aware that I won the only important lottery in life with her
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:35 PM   #3996
diyAudio Member

I fully agree on that TV, I wanted a bigger one to start with (when we bought it many moons ago). Now she is saying, maybe this TV should go to the bedroom (no TV there yet) and we could get a bigger one downstairs.

Everything I do or try, I better make sure I can get away with it first. She has been supportive in everything I do. I own 2 fun cars (another hobby) and get no grief there either. She owns our third car, the family sedan . Mine fall more in the toy category size wise...
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:58 PM   #3997
diyAudio Member

How much does each one weight? Approx.
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:15 PM   #3998
diyAudio Member

Approximately 75 Kg. Of which 65 gram is the moving mass.
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:22 PM   #3999
diyAudio Member

OK so one person could lift it, with straps, and balance it midway against a shoulder.

With 25 drivers, a split cabinet would be tricky but would make it more movable.
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:57 PM   #4000
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Wesayso,

I just recently started experimenting with 4 channels. I added 2 more channels to the side and slightly to the back. I have them playing a few db down with delay and with a LPF of 12 db/oct at 1000 Hz and HPF of 12 db/oct at 100 Hz. The rear left plays the front right signal and the rear right plays the front left signal. I just started last night. I'm not sure if I'm hearing a difference, whether I should change the delay, or raise the level. I haven't put a mic in yet to measure the exact delay and level relative to the mains.

I'm curious about your precise processing. What is the signal (L-R, polarity, filtering etc.), level, and delay? The ambient speakers are Jeff Bagby's Continuum's, so quite capable upwards of 70 Hz.

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)Hide this!Advertise here!