The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

The way I do this to avoid needing to use the Jriver loopback is to measure in REW with the from file option, instructions are here down the page

Making Measurements

Basically save a prerecorded sweep, play it back in Jriver and with the acoustic timing measurement REW knows when the sweep is starting.

I found the loopback to have glitches and clicks in my setup, measuring from file works better for me.

Thanks fluid, works perfectly! :up:

Thanks @gapmedia for confirming the file option within REW. Good to have alternatives!

Hello wesayso. although I am sure your measuring process is completely documented somewhere in this thread, do you normally use 'loopback' with JRiver to measure, or something else? I am just wondering if you are getting input channels in REW when using JRivers 'loopback' and your mult-channel audio card. Thanks.

Regards,
Simon

I used to use the loopback function for measurements, but ever since the introduction of the JRiver WDM driver I've been using that option successfully.
My Output Device is set to that JRiver Media Center WDM driver and Input Device is set to the line in from my Asus sound card. I'm still using the Java drivers. Within JRiver I'm using the Asio driver for the multi channel Asus card.

Even though it has been a long road to get there, as life has a funny way to getting in the way of DIY projects, I'm planning to release/publish all the plans I used to build my subwoofers.
I don't know if there is any interest in it, but if there is, the plans will become freely available (for DIY use).

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm still working to get the 3D model up to date, I will publish all drawings and am considering throwing in the 3D model as a STEP file.
Plans are based on the Scan Speak Discovery 30W/4558T00 woofer.
I'm leaving out the amplifier part, as I used a Hypex NC500MP (OEM), it's the same module as used in the Hypex FA501 1 x 500 Watt FusionAmp.
Likely the 250 watt model would suffice, but personally I like to have some extra headroom.

I used the separate modules because I was planning to use my own version of DSP, however these specific Hypex models are not sold separately.
One could use these plans and description to build their own version of it, using an amplifier of their own choice.

I've build these subs up to a size factor, meaning I had specific dimensions in mind.
Using DSP, with use of processing much like the Linkwitz Transform, I expected them to be able to support my arrays in the lower registers.
They did not disappoint in real life use. Home Theatre viewing has never been more fun without having to worry about the arrays :).

I haven't worked out the details yet of where and how to make the plans available, I'll probably make a web page about it on one of my sites.
Sadly I had to drop the vandermill.audio site I had as the 'dot audio' domain name extension moved up in price which was too ridiculous for me to pay as a (non profit) hobbyist.

I hope someone somewhere will have fun with these plans...
Just add your own amp and DSP and have fun with it!

Attachments

• subproject.jpg
    subproject.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Subassembly-small.jpg
    Subassembly-small.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
I used to use the loopback function for measurements, but ever since the introduction of the JRiver WDM driver I've been using that option successfully.
My Output Device is set to that JRiver Media Center WDM driver and Input Device is set to the line in from my Asus sound card. I'm still using the Java drivers. Within JRiver I'm using the Asio driver for the multi channel Asus card.

Thanks for the explanation.

I haven't worked out the details yet of where and how to make the plans available, I'll probably make a web page about it on one of my sites.
Sadly I had to drop the vandermill.audio site I had as the 'dot audio' domain name extension moved up in price which was too ridiculous for me to pay as a (non profit) hobbyist.

I claimed a new domain name: www.vandermill-audio.nl. At € 1,00 for the first year and about € 9,00 for each successive year that wasn't a hard choice. The .audio domain I had before went up in price to ~ € 217.00/year.

Still working hard to fill the pages. I almost started from scratch as i never really liked my first site's look. I took a free template and together with some CSS tweaks I got it to behave like I wanted it to.

Lots to do to fill all of the pages, but it's a start. I tried to give it a sort of a glossy magazine look. Ideally I'd split up each main page with it's own categorised sidebar (featuring the in depth info), but I don't know how much editing of the template that would take. So far, all I needed was a couple of CSS tweaks to make it behave.

Looking nice.

They asked € 217 a year just to keep the domain alive? That's crazy! I've never seen that. That's extorsion.

The most any of the domain I owned was $11.

I also used to pay for hosting ... but since my needs are very small, I found that I get 50Mb free with my domain name company. So, I canceled my hosting plan, and just live with that 50Mb, which is no problem as I only used 10Mb so far. Compressing jpg images for the web is easy, and saves plenty of space.

Looking nice.

They asked € 217 a year just to keep the domain alive? That's crazy! I've never seen that. That's extorsion.

The most any of the domain I owned was $11.

I also used to pay for hosting ... but since my needs are very small, I found that I get 50Mb free with my domain name company. So, I canceled my hosting plan, and just live with that 50Mb, which is no problem as I only used 10Mb so far. Compressing jpg images for the web is easy, and saves plenty of space.

Crazy huh? I started with about € 15.00 a year and all of a sudden they decided to make the domain name more exclusive for al .dot.audio domain names. Hosting would come on top of that. :eek:

wesayso, looking very professional. But where's the shopping cart? I want me a set of those speakers! :D

:D