Who builds in UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

A few yeas ago I tried to get into building my own full range speakers. This did not get going, although I have a number of unopened fostex boxes!

I purchased a number of 2nd hand fostex's to try out over the years and then have moved back to brand speakers - at the moment Kef Q700's
I just seem to prefer the Full range - and the mid range, even on the cheaper 2nd hand builds that I picked up.

Is there any people on here or companies building full ranges speakers that wont break my bank and are no taller than 94cm! I'm in Yorkshire - UK but happy to travel to pick up a build. Maybe the build could use the speakers I have in stock?

Hope you can help

here's a few points to ponder

whereabouts are you located? there could be any number of DIYers or bespoke builders nearer than you think

what drivers exactly are in those unopened Fostex boxes?

have you heard any decent full range systems that have confirmed that you could live with their inevitable limitations /compromises (max SPL / bass extension / total enclosure volume)?

then of course there'd be questions related to narrowing the potential candidates for most suitable drivers (assuming your existing inventory might not be up to the task) & enclosure designs for your situation:

- room size (sq ft & volume) & average listening distance
- listening habits (program type / SP levels)
- as well as height, placement constraints vis a vis room boundaries, windows, furnishings etc.

over to you chaps - Scott, Colin, et al
:)

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The speakers would be situated in my living room left and right of a cabinet holding electronic equipment, separated roughly by 3m. I sit approx 3m away. Usually a cinema screen between speakers. room is roughly 4.5m by 3.5m.

Left speaker has a small sofa in front but only 50cm high and 1m back - reason why I prefer a single speaker set high in cabinet.

I have had a pair of these http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/167e_enclrev.pdf
- wife did like these and they were finished in an old fashioned teak.

A pair of these http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/207e_enclrev.pdf - my enclosure seemed wider and wife did not like size!

and a pair of Zigmahornets like these Zigmahornet Speakers with Fostex FE103E / FE103En Driver - wife does not like hight of these!

In all the speakers above the construction was not spot on but good enough for me to judge the sound. They were found on ebay locally to really have a long demo with them - the cabinets have all gone but the cones kept, although the 167e are damaged.

other speakers I have stored away
Pair of 2nd hand FE208 sigma - not tested
New pair of FE166e
New 3 x FE107e

I probably could get £500 for my current Kef Q700's and they are the sort of max size I can take, maybe a little wider. I may add a few hundred pounds for something that is going to be worth the look and sound. I don't listen loud and found the cabinets for the 207e to bassey, the current Kef Q700 are to bassey and bassey is not what I like. I like to hear vocals and instruments, that's why I think I keep getting drawn back to fostex.

I would consider not full range and non fostex, I mention fostex as they have been an easy ownership to start with. I do understand they can be a little bright and localized but the Zigmahornets do not seem to be like the other speakers, creating a good image around my room, maybe to do with the fact that the cone is placed high, I still have these.

I have moved away from separates and valves. Now everything is AV receiver and electronic. Not going back until no children in house and have dedicated listening room. Main sound is movies now and electronically stored music (looking into DAC's later though) - music genre is varied.
I would consider a multi-channel valve amp like in the link below. Also have been interested in the Frugel 3 speakers.

Electric Beach introduces the Frugel 3 Speaker

I am in Huddersfield - West Yorkshire.

Hope this gives more info.

bbr81:

Do I deduce that you're looking to build towards a full multi-channel AV system? Most of the current flock of surround receivers include calibration & EQ systems that vastly simplify set up, including tailoring for different sensitivities in each channel.

Provided you'll be incorporating separate woofers for the LFE channels, that's quite doable in a room your size with FR drivers, whether Fostex or not. However one of the tenets, or at least my own deeply held opinion on the subject, is that all 3 of the front row should be voiced as close as identically as possible. This usually means using same make / perhaps models of drivers across the front. While there are often constraints on dimensions of enclosure for center channel, remember it is the most important of the 3, and should be the last to be scrimped on.

As the front row to LFE channel can be XO'd as high as well above 100Hz, you might be able to get away with one of the 208s for center in an snall enclosure that would not as wide band as you might want for a 2.0 music system, and the 166s for L&R mains in something like an MLTL.

The FE107s would be fine for front height / rear surrounds, as those channels don't carry a lot of low frequency information - those enclosures could be pretty tiny.

Of course there are other makes of drivers to consider.

The Electric Beach Frugel3 is an interesting commercial version of a design with which I'm quite familiar, and the Alpair7 is in fact the driver in both my upstairs music and downstairs HT system. The FH3/A7 is a great combination, and there is a very nice and compact design for a centre channel for that driver.

Another interesting enclosure for the A7 that is more compact than the FH3 and has decent WAF is the Pensil ( shown here with the aforementioned centre)

and yeah, it's definitely worth contacting Colin Topps, or perhaps Steve at Electric Beach if you're looking for a bepoke builder
of course, don't be surprised at different configuration / driver suggestions. :)

Attachments

• 7.3 Penils MarKenT 006.jpg
    7.3 Penils MarKenT 006.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 241
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dare I suggest having a chat with Colin Topps?

Especially since there is close proximity, Colin is north-east of Manchester.

Given no requirement for deep bass (should be done with separate woofers anyway -- and that the FE167 are damaged) a set pf 2 or 3 Suzy with the FE107 across the front is what first came to my mind.

dave

Especially since there is close proximity, Colin is north-east of Manchester.

Given no requirement for deep bass (should be done with separate woofers anyway -- and that the FE167 are damaged) a set pf 2 or 3 Suzy with the FE107 across the front is what first came to my mind.

dave

since Suzy has long since been retired, perhaps you could post a rendering of design

well, my next question would be if you're intent on using existing drivers, or willing to start from scratch?

this is coming from an over decade long time fan of Fostex drivers, recently very impressed by the work of Mark Fenlon - something that might well be seconded by Mr Topps, should he care to contribute publicly, or via PM

For what it may or not be worth discussing, my current separate music and HT systems are composed of several models of Alpair drivers. Even the "budget" CHR / CHP70s are well worth the consideration, and don't get me started on the EL70 ( actually, I just did that myself :))

Bobby,
I have just picked up on this thread and have recieved and replied by email to your PM.

I now have Scottmoose on board as my business partner and designer, so between us we can design and build a system specific to your needs.

I live just over the Pennines from you, in Lancashire just off the M66, so you're welcome to pop over for a chat and listen to some speakers whenever.

Regards
Colin

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.