Faital Pro 3FE22 - 4 ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I would like to build a small portable speaker with 2 faital pro 3FE22 / 4 ohm ; the internal volume is 1.8 liters. It will be powered by a 12V battery. So, I would like to make it a bass reflex speaker (the 2 drivers share the same volume).
I wonder how I should tune it : I was thinking about going for 120 Hz, to have the maximum power output without reaching x-max (at the price of not too many lows...).
What do you think ? Should I just make it a closed box or the reflex one is better, even in such a small volume ?

Thank you !

What connections are you using series or parallel?
For two drivers (4 ohm) final impedance can be 2 or 8 ohms?!
(or do you mean a 4 ohm each for stereo.)
I would go and use the bass reflex. If a stereo, with separated/independent internal chambers for each driver.
Each driver Faital Pro 3FE22 / 4 ohm, reference here,
http://www.faitalpro.com/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=401000101
with a (BR) VB = 0.7 L tuned to 98.0 Hz.
F-6 dB 109 Hz, F-3 dB 144 Hz if you need to add a woofer later in time.
Don't worry about about Xmax or (Xmech), you can use it @40/50Hz without reaching it's mechanical threshold of damage that is 7.3 mm ~@20 W/4 Ohms.
An approximate measure for the vent is 2.5 cm (diam) for length 20 cm (x1 driver@0.7 L).

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks for your answer.

You're right, I forgot to mention that it will be a stereo system, so each speaker will be on each channel of the amplifier (probably an amp6), without separation.
So it will be one port for both of them.

Wouldn't that be better to tune it higher ? If I put your recommendation on WinISD, I reach the x-max quickly (not the x-damage). I don't really get the difference between the x-max and the x-damage...

It seems that I can get a better F3 with a higher tuned cabinet ?

Thanks a lot !

p.s : I will probably use Maxxaudio on my music (meaning I will rerecord some music through it, trying to get more low frequencies thanks to it !)

No, do a slot vent as many pro applications. Align as I said because there are no problems with max excursion for that (max.) power. Damage is the max excursion applicable at 7.3 mm for the driver. No problem with Xmax. The sealed app with be different in the x or low frequency roll-off (F3=230/250Hz and up).
The enclosure you mention is wrong, separate the enclosure for you don't have interference between channels. One for both drivers is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On my mini Karlsonator thread I built a box meant for two drivers to be driven as parallel load but tried hooking up each driver to separate left and right channels and to my surprise it sounds really good. Bass was there and highs were there and it sounded mono but the best mono I have ever heard. This was with two Vifa TC9FD drivers. You can listen to the pseudo mono sound clips in the first post. Just thought I mention this as one chamber in the case of a ML-TQWT speaker seems to work if cabinet was designed for dual driver. So for a simple bass reflex tune WinISd as if you are using a dual driver BR it may produce a good result.

Thanks for your answer !

Inductor, I don't really get why you would tune it so low. In WinISD, if I tune to 120 Hz, the F3 is better, and the response frequency seems to be better. So why tuning it so low ?

Thanks !
I can make 2 sims for you if that helps in any way. But make sure you are using the right parameters for the 4 ohm (post #2) FAITAL PRO 3FE22-4 from the website or they can never be compared. :no:
The right alignment is a personal matter. I'm not here to make you change your opinion.

I hope you got my note on the inside of the enclosure, and I'm sure you never wanted to share the space between the 2 stereo drivers, they would interfere with each other. Also make use of some acoustic absorption felt because of the inside reflections. :)

Attachments

• FAITAL PRO 3FE22-4, VB = 0.7 L, FB = 98.0 Hz.gif
    FAITAL PRO 3FE22-4, VB = 0.7 L, FB = 98.0 Hz.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,033
  • FAITAL PRO 3FE22-4, VB = 0.9 L, FB = 120.0 Hz.gif
    FAITAL PRO 3FE22-4, VB = 0.9 L, FB = 120.0 Hz.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 979
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I am surprised about it seems to be important that the left and right speakers do not share the same enclosure as many do, like most of the dock we can fin (Bose soundlink, Jambox...)

Almost all the musics do not have a stereo separation in their lower frequencies ?

I guess, I'll need to make some test for the alignement. The 20cm port is going to be hard to include, maybe in 3D...

Hi Roubi,

As it happens I have two Faital 3FE20, which is the same speaker with a slightly different front plate, on order. My intended use is as a midrange > 250 Hz. I have studied the specs and from what I saw they are likely to disappoint for what you are planning to use it for. The reason is no low end and very limited linear X. Xmax may be reasonable, but it's a 4 mm voice coil in a 3mm gap. That's .5 mm linear Xmax.

Have you considered the Aura NS3, for sale at Madisound. You will be able to get some real bass from a 1.5l enclosure. It is less efficient than the Faital, but I don't trust their specs; I get to a calculated efficiency of only about 83.5 dB/W, which still is decent for a speaker this size. The NS3 is below that, but your Amp6 will be able to drive it to high enough levels.

Hi Roubi,

As it happens I have two Faital 3FE20, which is the same speaker with a slightly different front plate, on order. My intended use is as a midrange > 250 Hz. I have studied the specs and from what I saw they are likely to disappoint for what you are planning to use it for. The reason is no low end and very limited linear X. Xmax may be reasonable, but it's a 4 mm voice coil in a 3mm gap. That's .5 mm linear Xmax.

Have you considered the Aura NS3, for sale at Madisound. You will be able to get some real bass from a 1.5l enclosure. It is less efficient than the Faital, but I don't trust their specs; I get to a calculated efficiency of only about 83.5 dB/W, which still is decent for a speaker this size. The NS3 is below that, but your Amp6 will be able to drive it to high enough levels.

I've got a pile of these drivers laying around here; some thoughts on their merits:

1) Faital 3FE20 - looks good on paper, has great specs for horn loading. Has a bit of that paper cone distortion, and the high end is a little iffy. Not much displacement.
2) Fostex FF85WK - basically the same size and price as the Faital, but a ferrite motor instead of neo. Sounds very nice to me, and has very similar specs. I was defending the Faital a couple years back, and another forum member turned me on to the Fostex, and I have to admit it seems to be a better driver.
3) Dayton ND91 - basically a clone of the Aurasound NS3, with some improvements that were requested by Don Keele. Just an amazing driver, and a screaming deal at the price. IMHO the 'cleanest' of all the small drivers, and clearly the displacement winner. My only real grip with the ND91 is that it's not horn-friendly. But that's due to the high moving mass, which is a necessity for the large displacement.

Hi Patrick,

I'll have to check out that Fostex FF85WK some day.

For completeness sake: another 3" I value highy is the Fountek FR88EX. It has lower distortion than the NS3, but doesn't have as much excursion.

btw. of all these speakers I would only use the NS3 without bass reinforcement from a subwoofer. Plus, to my ears, even small full ranges sound better in a two-way with a small tweeter taking care of the top range.

Hi Roubi,

Hi Vacuphile,
Yes, I thought about the NS3, but they are more expensive here in France. I will definitelly try them one day, but the low sensitivity worries me, as I care more about SPL than lows. An F3 of 100-120 Hz is ok for me (outdoor use).

Patrick, thanks for the comments :
The Fostex is good, but to heavy for my purpose.
The Dayton looks great, but god knows where I can get it here in France at a decent price...

I have quickly made a closed box of 1,8 liters for both 3FE22-4, and the sound is nice. Some EQ with miniDSP is really necessary but the SPL is incredible for such a small box. But of course, no bass. I must know try to find a way to include ports. I'll try one aligned at 98Hz, and one aligned at 120Hz.
I also played with MaxxBass from Waves on MP3 files, and I must the result is surprising ! Really getting something more ! Not Hi-Fi of course, but for outdoor small parties, should be perfect ! Just need to export processed MP3 files.

I'll keep you inform !

I got my Faital 2FE20-ies (the same as the ..22 with a different flange) and mounted them as midranges, replacing the Fountek FR88EX for testing.

The Faital doesn't play as low as the Fountek. It is also certainly not 91dB/W efficient, but about 3 dB more efficient than the Fountek. In the Fountek, I found a slight metalic sheen in voices etc (reason to scout for something else). The Faital does fare better in this respect. Distortion wise, however, the Faital is definitively worse than the Fountek. But, this does not show up in listening tests, where I find it more natural than the Fountek.

Both are pretty ruler flat, so it is not an obvious case of differences in response curve. My best bet is that it is an energy storage issue with the Fountek that does something bad. All very peculiar, because the Fountek only rings above 20KHz, and as a mid I only use it to 2KHz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.