Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Faital Pro 3FE22 - 4 ohm
Faital Pro 3FE22 - 4 ohm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2013, 10:50 AM   #11
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick,

I'll have to check out that Fostex FF85WK some day.

For completeness sake: another 3" I value highy is the Fountek FR88EX. It has lower distortion than the NS3, but doesn't have as much excursion.

btw. of all these speakers I would only use the NS3 without bass reinforcement from a subwoofer. Plus, to my ears, even small full ranges sound better in a two-way with a small tweeter taking care of the top range.
Old 4th August 2013, 11:56 AM   #12
roubi is offline roubi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Hi Roubi,

As it happens I have two Faital 3FE20, which is the same speaker with a slightly different front plate, on order. My intended use is as a midrange > 250 Hz. I have studied the specs and from what I saw they are likely to disappoint for what you are planning to use it for. The reason is no low end and very limited linear X. Xmax may be reasonable, but it's a 4 mm voice coil in a 3mm gap. That's .5 mm linear Xmax.

Have you considered the Aura NS3, for sale at Madisound. You will be able to get some real bass from a 1.5l enclosure. It is less efficient than the Faital, but I don't trust their specs; I get to a calculated efficiency of only about 83.5 dB/W, which still is decent for a speaker this size. The NS3 is below that, but your Amp6 will be able to drive it to high enough levels.

Hi Vacuphile,
Yes, I thought about the NS3, but they are more expensive here in France. I will definitelly try them one day, but the low sensitivity worries me, as I care more about SPL than lows. An F3 of 100-120 Hz is ok for me (outdoor use).

Patrick, thanks for the comments :
The Fostex is good, but to heavy for my purpose.
The Dayton looks great, but god knows where I can get it here in France at a decent price...

I have quickly made a closed box of 1,8 liters for both 3FE22-4, and the sound is nice. Some EQ with miniDSP is really necessary but the SPL is incredible for such a small box. But of course, no bass. I must know try to find a way to include ports. I'll try one aligned at 98Hz, and one aligned at 120Hz.
I also played with MaxxBass from Waves on MP3 files, and I must the result is surprising ! Really getting something more ! Not Hi-Fi of course, but for outdoor small parties, should be perfect ! Just need to export processed MP3 files.

I'll keep you inform !
Old 4th August 2013, 12:58 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes Roubi, I will get my 3FE22 shortly, and I will post my results as well (may take some time, because I am off tomorrow to Berlin for a summer break).
Old 4th August 2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Saturnus is offline Saturnus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The Faital is a great driver as long as you don't try to get it to do under 100hz. The iffy high range described above is really only if you listen to them on-axis which will positively never happen in your case as you use it for a portable build.
Old 20th August 2013, 09:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I got my Faital 2FE20-ies (the same as the ..22 with a different flange) and mounted them as midranges, replacing the Fountek FR88EX for testing.

The Faital doesn't play as low as the Fountek. It is also certainly not 91dB/W efficient, but about 3 dB more efficient than the Fountek. In the Fountek, I found a slight metalic sheen in voices etc (reason to scout for something else). The Faital does fare better in this respect. Distortion wise, however, the Faital is definitively worse than the Fountek. But, this does not show up in listening tests, where I find it more natural than the Fountek.

Both are pretty ruler flat, so it is not an obvious case of differences in response curve. My best bet is that it is an energy storage issue with the Fountek that does something bad. All very peculiar, because the Fountek only rings above 20KHz, and as a mid I only use it to 2KHz.
Old 20th August 2013, 11:26 PM   #16
DYNABLASTERTUNERS is offline DYNABLASTERTUNERS  Serbia
diyAudio Member

3FE22 has a peak somewhere, dont know now exactly where, so in my ears it needs a notch filter, off axis listening doesn't help...
It's a good driver, but it can't be compared to yellow(or other) Vifa, FF85WK, better TB, Alpair or something in that range.

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 20th August 2013 at 11:28 PM.
  Reply to this post

Faital Pro 3FE22 - 4 ohmHide this!Advertise here!