Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Is this the right driver?
Faital Pro 3FE25 - 3 Lautsprecher 20 W 16 Ohm - Ferrit, 14,99 €

And do I need crossover (sorry thread to long)?

Hi JP

Yes, that's the correct driver. Just connect them up in parallel, no crossover needed.

Originally, I complained about the high frequencies, and xrk suggested a baffle step. So I made baffle steps and used them for a few months. It worked to tame down the highs, but I felt that I was losing SPL overall (with the 6W ACA). Then I removed the baffle steps and now I'm just running some EQ in the media players. So, now I get the best of both worlds - tamer high frequencies, AND more bass.

Please let us know how you find these speakers. To me, the 3FE25's are amazing full range drivers.

Last edited:
@Skylar88

Is this the right driver?
Faital Pro 3FE25 - 3 Lautsprecher 20 W 16 Ohm - Ferrit, 14,99 €

And do I need crossover (sorry thread to long)?

JP
Hi.
I would like to share my current experience with these drivers

I am just finishing two tabaq with 3fe25. the first listening tests are surprising so the bass are well defined, but I have a little trouble with the peak of 10 db in the treble. I made my first test with a zobel and a bsc (6.8 ohm + 1mh) but i plane to add a notch too to tame the 10-12k by a few db.

Making slow but steady progress on my 0.53x Dual 3FE25-16 mini-k's. I went with a layer of 3/16" plywood under the top layer of foamcore to support the drivers and provide a solid material for the screws to bite into. With all the bracing glued up these things are tanks. So sturdy! I used MuddJester's score and fold plans but I added 3/8" to the height of the driver board so the lower driver doesn't hit the bottom of the enclosure before it's fully seated. 1/4" probably would have been sufficient. I started cutting the driver holes out with my Dremel and a 1/8" spiral upcut bit last night (with some help from my pup :D ). Maybe not the best method but I don't have a 2-7/8" hole saw to make the cutouts. We'll see how it turns out. Getting close!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7826.jpg
    IMG_7826.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_7828.jpg
    IMG_7828.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_7829.jpg
    IMG_7829.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_7950.jpg
    IMG_7950.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 438
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Great looking build there, Jwjarch! You can also put the wood on the top (front). A 3/16in layer of wood on the front face of the aperture wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

I think this one is going to sound pretty fantastic. I think JPS64 is also contemplating the same build. Thanks for the photos - lots of great detail on the bracing.

Cheers,
X

Thanks guys! The bracing is per MuddJester's plans with the exception of the 'E' brace. I added another one of those to stiffen up the bottom rear corner section of the speaker. Should make it fun to cut and fit all the felt too. :D I really can't wait to hear these! I think they will be a great test speaker to see what the differences are between all of my future amp builds.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, those are permanent, Skylar. I thought about that too. I'm contemplating making a few holes in those braces to free up the air around the drivers. Thoughts?

How did you brace your driver boards?

You can glue some felt to the braces to reduce direct reflection of the back wave. Or the Mr Clean Magic Eraser Pads (sliced to half thickness) works well too.

You can get a bag of 100 of those pads on EBay from China for $7. They are reticulated melamine sponges - same as BASF professional sound abatement foam.

Skylar, looking back at Twocent's post of your build it appears you had minimal bracing in the speakers. I wonder if I over did it. :scratch2:

Yes, the bracing that you saw in the pictures are the only ones I put in.

Jwjarch, I have never built speakers before these Karls, let alone design them, so I can only go by what I hear from my speakers. To Twocents and myself they sound fantastic for their size - and that is with minimal bracing.

From what I've read, bracing is good, so I don't think you've overdone it.