Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Hey XRK do you have any 2 hour sub builds I can try? I've got all sorts of crazy ideas here about rapid prototype builds using this really expensive insta dry stuff to accelerate bracing, small panels etc... while using wood glue in combination to ensure sealing. Thinking about making some cute little sub to match the .4x's for those people in the AES club that want a smaller design than my 3 cu. ft. t-line. You know something with maybe 50-100 watts of power handling that would go great with the dayton 2.1 plate amplifier? I'd be down to guinea pig a design if things go well :).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey XRK do you have any 2 hour sub builds I can try? I've got all sorts of crazy ideas here about rapid prototype builds using this really expensive insta dry stuff to accelerate bracing, small panels etc... while using wood glue in combination to ensure sealing. Thinking about making some cute little sub to match the .4x's for those people in the AES club that want a smaller design than my 3 cu. ft. t-line. You know something with maybe 50-100 watts of power handling that would go great with the dayton 2.1 plate amplifier? I'd be down to guinea pig a design if things go well :).

Yes, check out this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/258433-light-air-slot-loaded-band-pass-sub.html

I made one using a pair of W5-876SE's. There is also a design for a larger one with the MCM 55-2421 drivers that should work real well. Box is simple to make and predicted performance is very nice. Plans by Tb46 (post 61) here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/subwoofers/428991d1405626797-light-air-slot-loaded-band-pass-sub-xrk971_55-2421_ppsl.pdf

If you make it, please post in that thread.

Sabaspeed,
Those do look very nice in black Duratex. White Duratex looks great too if you want to try that. Indoors, the white just disappears.

3 more pairs!? Making gifts for friends are we?

I build things and if they work out I come up with "plans" and help friends in the AES chapter on campus build them, this will be my second group build. I have at least 2-3 people interested in building these and I've only mentioned them to a few people (I lobby extremely well for all my projects :)).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sabaspeed,
Regarding rapid prototyping, if you have a 3d printer capable of a 24in cube workpiece - I was working on a 1-piece Synergy horn earlier with Jennygirl (who has one of these printers) on a design. We were close but not finalized yet. It would use two pretty high value B&C 10CL51's for mid bass and a CD like DE250 on top to provide circa 80Hz to 18kHz. The entire horn including mounting panels, ducts, vents, screw bosses etc would be printed in 1 shot. Would use a lot of plastic spool feedstock though. You would just need to make a simple mdf of ply box on outside to house it and provide rear chamber for the woofers.

This is similar to the design I was working on but a bit bigger as we were looking at Weltersys' particular application. Anyhow Jennygirl is pretty good with 3d cad.

More info here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/262838-synergy-tripp-10-a-5.html#post4078819

RO1ewGG.png

Last edited:
That is a sick design (synergy horn), but I'm probably not going to need more speakers for a while. Just to put these speakers quality in perspective, they are twice the subjective sound quality of my line arrays (Just set them up with my subs in my room - audyssey and all). Thanks isn't a strong enough word, but thank you XRK and everyone involved in this design!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sabaspeed,
Thanks for the feedback. GregB had an awesome design to start with and I figured out how to scale it using AkAbak. Would love to see a photo of your setup sometime. Based on how much you like it I have to build another set for myself as my wife loves the first set I built and uses them daily for her iphone in the kitchen. Let me know what you think of the subs I proposed for your quick 2hr projects? That is why I love foam core - you get to try a lot of different speakers and they are fast builds for instant gratification.
Cheers,
X

Last edited:
Sabaspeed,
Thanks for the feedback. GregB had an awesome design to start with and I figured out how to scale it using AkAbak. Would love to see a photo of your setup sometime. Based on how much you like it I have to build another set for myself as my wife loves the first set I built and uses them daily for her iphone in the kitchen.
Cheers,
X

Here you go, gives a little size perspective :).

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 474
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 469
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 459
Ignore the backstreet boys in the background :)) favorite song I listened to in the last hour was Animals-Maroon5

Like all good speakers these are making me revisit everything.

Other awesome ones:
Yellow Brick Road- Angus & Julia Stone
Dangerous - david guetta
Lithium - Evanescence

And one for you older folks: Hotel California - Eagles.

Is that black refrigerator a sub? That is sick for a little room. Amazing that you like the sound quality from the modest little Vifa over your line arrays. :D
Thanks for sharing the photos.

Subwoofer, cable router, stage, work of art - whatever it needs to be at the time. It's my T60 @ 20 inches wide (20x30x60''). My dual 12 is next to my new "surrounds" at 50 inches tall 15.5 wide and 19 deep it's comparatively puny. Subs split to fix room issues.

Rant:
The sound quality on my line arrays is solid for movies after Audyssey in that they have insane dynamics and output but before EQ the frequency response is very uneven due to my cheaping out on the drivers and buying closeouts combined with not being nearfield, combined with my not knowing a whole lot about crossover/level matching at the time. They also don't sound good until you are back about 8 feet so the drivers can merge their sound (expected). Loud as a PA they are but impress a trained listener they won't.
/endrant

The karlsons on the other hand are beautiful sounding, much better on vocal positioning and clarity. They are better at the "disappearing" act than any other speakers I have.

Sabaspeed,
Thanks for pointing out that song - very nice and I think it is a great song to test speakers with. Good textures, nice bass, very modern and classical at the same time. I found it on YouTube here - is this the same song we are talking about?
BT-Anhtkythera Mechanism..... - YouTube

That's the song, but I have the original 24 bit stereo FLAC that's 11 minutes long.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Is there a concise explanation for what the k aperture does? I have a hard time explaining it to people.
DJN that's way overkill but looks awesome, I'd build it if I got free drivers :).

It does 2 things: provide a smoother impedance match from the TL terminus to free space (like an anti reflecftion coating on your eyeglasses or camera lens); and it acts as an acoustic lens to provide wide dispersion.

The curve prevents a hard edge boundary from forming, this a smoother impedance match which deduces TL terminus resonance peaks.

Look in Job Ulfman's website.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Impedance wise, the K-slot seems not to do many things on that experimental enclosure of mine with a FR driver.
With that construction, the slit’s lip curving allow for almost no front chamber volume, therefore no appreciable LP effect.

George

Attachments

• 5 HALF KARLSON SLIT VIEW 1.jpg
    5 HALF KARLSON SLIT VIEW 1.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 4 KARLSON AS SEEN FROM TUBE'S REFLECTOR.jpg
    4 KARLSON AS SEEN FROM TUBE'S REFLECTOR.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 458
  • 3 Close-up.jpg
    3 Close-up.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 2 No K-slit.jpg
    2 No K-slit.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 467
  • 1 With K-slit.JPG
    1 With K-slit.JPG
    627 KB · Views: 461
  • 0 Comp K-slit vs no K-slit.JPG
    0 Comp K-slit vs no K-slit.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 6 Internals.jpg
    6 Internals.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 219
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
George,
Way cool foam design - dig the 3d sculpting on the wings! This is a BLH or TL with K aperture. It is a bit different than Karlsonator which has the vent from back TL at the top so the aperture does in effect extend the length a bit. There is a several Hz lower tuning freq drop with and without it. The bigger effect is the horizontal dispersion due to lens effect. I just got a new DATS woofer tester as a gift so will run some impedance sweeps on a new 0.4x that I am building with and without the front wings.

another variant of the Karlson was Robert Reams' "Karlson Hypex" - the picture below only shows the lower 2/3 of the enclosure. There's a patent besides the AES paper. It had a sealed rear chamber, used JBL D140 at the time and made in single/dual driver versions. The woofer had a sealed back chamber and fired downwards into a short horn whose throat was a K-slot

patent
https://www.google.com/patents/US41...a=X&ei=S898VPaIDNbnoASBuoGQAw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAw

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: