Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

You are greatly blessed indeed SyncTronX!!

I finished my mini karlsonators a couple of minutes ago! :D
It's 21:00 local time, so will have to wait until tomorrow to take some decent pictures. Still, I shot a couple, but they don't make justice to the speakers, hope you like them anyway!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Those golden screws are crap, and it's imposible to tighten the front and back panels as much as I wanted. At least, everything seems sealed with no air gaps. I made a quickly sound test and they sound great!!

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. Thank you all!
Cheers,
Fran

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Funny, I originally thought at most one or two people would try this design...

I am surprised too by the number of builds - but a good sounding, easy to build, and inexpensive design has a way of multiplying. :D

I have to say that Fran's speaker is one of the most beautifully done I have seen - the choice of the cream color is really nice.

I wonder if it sounds better in Baltic birch than FC?

Very nice build there Francisco.

Having seen all these builds, I've got the urge to give the 0.4x Mini Karlsonator a go.

Plus one of my cats took an unhealthy interest in the speaker cable from one of my Cornu cabinets which resulted in it meeting the floor via the edge of the TV stand, thankfully the driver was unscathed but the cabinet less so :(, so maybe wall mounted speakers are not such a great idea around my furry demolition team :rolleyes:.

I've put together the dimensions shown in the attachments and was wondering if someone who's built one could give them a quick eyeball/sanity check before I start cutting.

Attachments

• Karlsonator_04x_Print.png
    Karlsonator_04x_Print.png
    30 KB · Views: 36,437
  • Karlsonator_04x_Slot.png
    Karlsonator_04x_Slot.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 3,572
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Blaides,
Nice drawing there! Looks good just a few comments:
1. you might want to try Grandcalmar's method of using one long piece for the front baffle with driver all the way to the internal divider. Score lines and fold and add glue to folds internally.
2. Make the K-aperture slot width wider - start at about 0.2 in wide.
3. Don't take the K-aperture to full width at bottom but truncate to leave about 0.25 in flat for durability.
4. If you have 4 drivers I recommend the 0.53x scale. Not too much more effort to make, but big payoff in sound difference as it has deeper bass extension and is four times as loud for same amp drive voltage.

The 0.4x sounds very nice and is good for smaller rooms and desktop use but the 0.53x, as Fran discovered, can fill a huge room with great sound.

Good luck!

Blaides,
Nice drawing there! Looks good just a few comments:
1. you might want to try Grandcalmar's method of using one long piece for the front baffle with driver all the way to the internal divider. Score lines and fold and add glue to folds internally.
2. Make the K-aperture slot width wider - start at about 0.2 in wide.
3. Don't take the K-aperture to full width at bottom but truncate to leave about 0.25 in flat for durability.
4. If you have 4 drivers I recommend the 0.53x scale. Not too much more effort to make, but big payoff in sound difference as it has deeper bass extension and is four times as loud for same amp drive voltage.

The 0.4x sounds very nice and is good for smaller rooms and desktop use but the 0.53x, as Fran discovered, can fill a huge room with great sound.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.

1) I've already factored in Grandcalmar's idea for the front baffle into my build. I drew everything as separate pieces in my plans so I could make sure they were all in the right places and get the measurements etc.

2) + 3) Ok, back to the drawing board with the K-slot. Though this was the area of the build that I wasn't 100% sure of.

4) I only have 2 TC9FD's at the moment, but if I like the 0.4x I may well look to order more and build the 0.53x.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Blaides,
Looks great. Start cutting! Here is a little something for you - I just recorded this on my 0.4x Karlsonators at the listening position on my computer desk. Powered by a TPA3116D2 amp running full range from a flac file. Sounds great! The clip is a compressed mp3 at 160kbit so will not sound anywhere as good as the real thing but a close approximation. I can see that it is hitting 75 Hz on the bass extension when I look at the spectrum. Not too bad...

Attachments

• 0.4x-Karlsonator-clip-10.zip
    910.1 KB · Views: 384
Quick question for the folks that built using the single piece method for the front baffle.

How did you handle the angled section where the baffle meets the bottom of the cabinet? (I've marked it in red on my attached image)

I was thinking of making the two sections of the baffle that hold the driver the same length, scoring/folding over, and gluing in place. Then when set cutting them to the correct angle.

Attachments

• Karlsonator_04x_baffle_2.png
    Karlsonator_04x_baffle_2.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,815