Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2014, 03:24 PM   #591
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
Karlson 12 foot long coupler plan - I don't understand what seems to be the driver holes on the angled surface -?

I'd assume the two speakers mounted on the rear of the long surface, then their back waves would be contained in
the theater's ceiling or wall - ?
Correct, the false wall/ceiling cavity appears to be a Klam's rear chamber with the rest being its vented front chamber, i.e. really large, low tuned 4th order BP.

GM
Old 21st April 2014, 03:32 PM   #592
BL21DE3 is offline BL21DE3  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Finally got a chance to get my 0.4x versions finished and running, went a bit slow due to Easter holidays and other commitments. Really impressed with the sound from these speakers. In fact so much so, I'm currently planning to build the 0.53x version in 12mm birch ply.

I've attached a few pictures of the build process, the finished articles and my 0.53x plans below. Not my neatest foamboard work I must admit, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the dual TC9's perform in the plywood build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140407_224452670.jpg (243.5 KB, 857 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140408_223512911.jpg (873.4 KB, 863 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8211.jpg (618.4 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8212.jpg (578.4 KB, 789 views)
File Type: png Karlsonator_0.53x.png (34.8 KB, 818 views)

Last edited by BL21DE3; 21st April 2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 21st April 2014, 07:08 PM   #593
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Blaides,
Super looking speakers there! I think it looks very neat. If you think these sound good, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much bigger and better the 0.53x sounds.
Old 22nd April 2014, 02:37 AM   #594
Carlp is online now Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL21DE3 View Post
Finally got a chance to get my 0.4x versions finished and running, went a bit slow due to Easter holidays and other commitments. Really impressed with the sound from these speakers. In fact so much so, I'm currently planning to build the 0.53x version in 12mm birch ply.

I've attached a few pictures of the build process, the finished articles and my 0.53x plans below. Not my neatest foamboard work I must admit, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the dual TC9's perform in the plywood build.
Nice. I was looking forward to your one-piece build. Looks great! The inner pieces are FAR neater than my build. Thanks for posting that!

Carl
Old 28th April 2014, 06:42 AM   #595
Mayuri is offline Mayuri  Finland
diyAudio Member

Very interesting builds in this thread. I'm considering building a pair of 0.4x or 0.53x Karlonators for a friend as computer speakers. How would they work on desktop use listened as a near-field speaker (under 1m listening distance)? Also considering using it so, would the 0.4 or the 0.53 version be the better alternative? I wonder if HF interference would be a problem using 2 drivers.

I got a pair of Peerless P830986 3" full ranges already collecting dust. Browsing the thread, I noticed this driver hasn't been used yet in here. I wonder if it would fare well in a simulation or should I just make the extra investment towards the Vifa TC9?

Also a question about the build. If I make a smallish speaker like this from BB ply (let's say 10mm thick), would it need internal bracing and/or the baffle brace shown in some builds? I'm jealous of you guys having that foam core for 1$, seems to be damned hard to get in where I live

Last edited by Mayuri; 28th April 2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 28th April 2014, 02:39 PM   #596
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless 830986 in 0.4x Karlsonator

Mayuri,
Those Peerless drivers are pretty nice and can work well in a Karlsonator scaled to 0.4x in height and depth, but scale the width to 0.43x for optimum results. These drivers are not as efficient as the TC9's so your SPL will be down a bit - but not a big deal for near field PC speakers. The 0.4x works much better near field as PC speakers as the size size is small still. At 0.53x it is kind of a larger box that is either floor or standmount or a largish bookshelf. You will need a BSC circuit to balance the bass and treble on this so use a 0.6mH inductor in parallel with a 5 ohm resistor and put those in series with the positive between the amp and the positive terminal. Here is the predicted response:

Click the image to open in full size.

Certainly, you can build this out of BB plywood - look at the great example that Francisco Perez did.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: png Karlsonator-0.4x-0.43xw-Peerless-830986-Freq-1m.png (26.7 KB, 887 views)
Old 28th April 2014, 05:23 PM   #597
Mayuri is offline Mayuri  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
You will need a BSC circuit to balance the bass and treble on this so use a 0.6mH inductor in parallel with a 5 ohm resistor and put those in series with the positive between the amp and the positive terminal. Here is the predicted response:
Thank you for the simulation x! Are you referring to the 0.53x or the 0.4x version with this? If it's the 0.4x, that's some impressive low-range extension from a 3" driver.

I haven't got the time to build the enclosure yet, but I'm itching to start sawing some plywood already
Old 28th April 2014, 07:14 PM   #598
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

0.4x scale - make the Karlson aperture come to a sharp cusp instead of slot for deeper extension as shown.
Old 1st May 2014, 06:56 AM   #599
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

no minis but my long distance cutter is at this point on Greg B's standard Karlsonator 12s - hey X - which 12s do you think may give the best match from simulations?
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 1st May 2014, 01:01 PM   #600
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Freddi,
That is a nice looking Karlsonator 12 box. Which drivers are you thinking of (or do you have and want to try)? I can't say that I have sim'd too many 12 in drivers so don't have one off the top of my head to recommend. My guess is one with a moderate Qts - not too low in order to increase bass extension. Do you have a Beta 12LTA - good full range? That may be a place to start. Do you plan to run single driver full range or to use a helper tweeter? A Definimax 12HO gives good bass performance. Really powerful motor coax's seem to not have as good bass extension - like all the B&C's start rolling off at 100 Hz.

Here are some sims with the Definimax - it can get pretty loud 120 dB at xmax with 50 volts of drive.
Attached Images
File Type: png KNR12-Definimax12HO-Freq-1m.png (29.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: png KNR12-Definimax12HO-Freq-1m-at-xmax.png (28.9 KB, 73 views)

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!