Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2014, 04:08 PM   #521
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

That is some very clean FC craftsmanship there. Beautiful joints using this technique.
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:06 AM   #522
bfabry is offline bfabry
diyAudio Member

Just finished these speakers last night. Very happy. Some advice for beginners: Draw out X's design to scale on a piece of paper first and measure all the pieces from there to make sure it fits. Helps shake out implicit assumptions :-)

I'm in Aus, so they were crazy expensive. $11.40 per small sheet of foam core from Officeworks. Took 5 sheets for 2 speakers. The foam core is good quality and it's matte black though so there's that, looks kinda nice. Essential Audio | Australia | Guitar Speakers | Bass Speakers | PA Speakers | Hi Fi SPeakers | Home Theatre | Cabinet Hardware can get the vifa's in and sell them for $25 each, not that cheap but the service was awesome, 2 days shipping.

If I had the space and was doing them again I'd just do them in ply. But I don't have the space, and so am very appreciative of X's design :-)

Next step, find a microphone for tuning them with.
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:28 AM   #523
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Bfabry,
Congratulations! Glad you like them - another happy builder. That is too bad FC is so expensive in Australia. We are really lucky here in the States with dollar store FC and $10 Vifa's. Photos please.
Old 22nd March 2014, 06:02 AM   #524
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcalmar View Post
For bends I cut the top layer of paper and only part way into the foam and then bend the board with the cut on the inside of the bend. I find there is no need to add hot glue - the bend is airtight. To make the double thick baffle I do the opposite and bend away from the cut which completely severs the foam but leaves the inside paper intact, making it easy to line up the two pieces (I then join these with a simple glue stick). Using this technique the innards of a 0.4X mini Karlsonator can be formed from one piece of FC with just bends and no hot glue.

Cheers!
GC - So that is how it's done. : )
I understand. Mine is a bit on the tall side.
Then I determinded with X's help not use foam
but board for the bass/mid.

Yeah, I went with 2 driver as that is what I had
bass/mid then tweeter. Boards are drying now.
Put some quick and dirty oil finish on them.

Hopefully in the next week I can finish.

I was forced to relinquish the dinner table
as I've no where else to lay out and work,
and my significant other was well you know.
AND
my assistant was finding little things to eat
and a table top of things she shouldn't touch...
like exactos, etc.

Thoughts at this juncture...

Buy a full range driver (I'd be finished already).

Thinking I'd rather it be in wood. Yet, I feel the
foam is a great rapid prototype method and it preps
you for wood later down the road.

I'm 3/4 there, with the foam.
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:44 AM   #525
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoPerez View Post
I'll go for that!! Thanks
Francisco,
Any updates in your completed speakers with front aperture securely fastened on? Hope it worked out well for you. If you ever need more power check out the TPA3116D2 amp. You can get really loud with that amp and it would be a simple board swap.
X
Old 22nd March 2014, 11:44 PM   #526
bfabry is offline bfabry
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Bfabry,
Congratulations! Glad you like them - another happy builder. That is too bad FC is so expensive in Australia. We are really lucky here in the States with dollar store FC and $10 Vifa's. Photos please.
Photos:

IMG_20140323_101215.jpg
IMG_20140323_101201.jpg
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:09 AM   #527
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Those do look very nice in all black.
Old 31st March 2014, 07:20 PM   #528
prezden is offline prezden  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've built a new stereo comprising a pair of foam board Karlsonators with TB W3-881SJF drivers and a TDA7297 amp and 12AU7 Valve Cmoy Headphone for preamp from Fed's Amps.

It is really quite remarkable how remarkable this little little set-up sounds. Thanks again master X for all you guidance.

It was great fun to build- hope you enjoy it

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stup and kar.jpg (305.7 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg karlsonator.jpg (450.2 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg stupa amp.jpg (472.8 KB, 535 views)
Old 31st March 2014, 07:40 PM   #529
FranciscoPerez is offline FranciscoPerez  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi!
prezden and bfabry they look really nice!! Synctronx, with such a good assistant it will surely turn out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Francisco,
Any updates in your completed speakers with front aperture securely fastened on? Hope it worked out well for you. If you ever need more power check out the TPA3116D2 amp. You can get really loud with that amp and it would be a simple board swap.
X
I've been quite busy these days but I just finished lacquering them!! I'm a horrible woodworker, and spent a lot of time sanding and puttying the cabinets to get everything smooth and professional-looking but I'm really happy with how they turned out. Can't wait to put it all together tomorrow and hear how they sound eventually!! I'll take some pictures and post them here!!!
As per my previous tests, they are way louder than I expected beforehand but anyway I definitely have to try some of these tpa3116d2 amps!!!

Cheers,
Fran
Old 1st April 2014, 11:19 AM   #530
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Prezden,
Those look really cool with the custom hand made paper covers over the Karlson apertures. Also like how your tube preamp in a wooden box looks. How do you like the sound of the tube preamp with tda7297? Surprised you are not going with the 3110? I think you got a 3116 - are you still working on getting that set up?

Fran,
You are in a for a real surprise when you hook up the 3116 amp to your mini Karlsonators. If you think they are loud with the 3110, be prepared to be amazed. Watch out for overdriving them though as those amps can actually put out 75watts/ch into a 4 ohm load with the right power supply. Have fun. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!