Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The FC construction is super easy. Cut one long strip the width of the speaker, then crease and fold it to match the design drawn on the side panel. Glue one section at a time starting with the back, then bottom, then driver baffle, then part above driver and then the duct and internal divider. It is one long piece with no cuts. Use hot melt glue so your hands can be the clamps (for 40 seconds). Then glue on the opposite side panel. Then the top. Make sure you add bracing along the way. Then add the K aperture. A FC K aperture sounds better than a stiff wooden one.

So... 90% there! Just a bit of finish sanding and lacquer and done!

I could not help but hook them up for a test run. "desktop speakers they are NOT".

First impression is BASS! In spades. Using a tubelab simple pp at the moment.

Thanks for all of the guidance guys, these are great.

Xrk971, you were right, I am pretty sure they get down into the 40's with the SEAS FA22RCZ..

more to come...:D

Attachments

• DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0144.JPG
    899.6 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    877.6 KB · Views: 512
  • DSC_0146.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    941.9 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC_0148 (1).JPG
    DSC_0148 (1).JPG
    885.8 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    714.6 KB · Views: 201
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
So... 90% there! Just a bit of finish sanding and lacquer and done!

I could not help but hook them up for a test run. "desktop speakers they are NOT".

First impression is BASS! In spades. Using a tubelab simple pp at the moment.

Thanks for all of the guidance guys, these are great.

Xrk971, you were right, I am pretty sure they get down into the 40's with the SEAS FA22RCZ..

more to come...:D

Beautiful job on the speakers! Glad they turned out to sound nice beyond your expectations. 40Hz is not too shabby :) can you refresh out memory - is this 0.53x scale?
Congrats!
:cheers:

Another happy builder :D

Last edited:
the beverage bottle is probably around 9" tall so they might be made from Greg B's original Karlsonator8 plans https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...0g/hi5Qd7SIw6Q/w878-h690-no/Karlsonator-8.png

Thejessman built the first Karlsonator8 pair to my knowledge - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.645456515500837.1073741837.601735219872967&type=3

whats does akabak say for this size with the SEAS? would it work well with my W8-1772 Tangband?

Jesse's Karlsonator8 with BG20
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Well I have had more time to listen to a wide variety of music on this system.
So far the only sources I've tried are a portable Sony CD and an iPod Classic 5.5. I and some friends have been very impressed with the sound :D
I never thought I would hear mp3's sound this good. There seems to be something about these 3116 that improve the sound of the mp3 files.

Thanks to all for making it possible for me to build such a great sounding stereo :):)

Attachments

• mini-k 2.jpg
    mini-k 2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,032
Well I have had more time to listen to a wide variety of music on this system.
So far the only sources I've tried are a portable Sony CD and an iPod Classic 5.5. I and some friends have been very impressed with the sound :D
I never thought I would hear mp3's sound this good. There seems to be something about these 3116 that improve the sound of the mp3 files.

Thanks to all for making it possible for me to build such a great sounding stereo :):)

Very nice looking little desktop system you've made there prezden. I am very glad you are enjoying it. :D

I have foam core.

I have a pair of FaitalPRO 3fe22 speakers.

I (think I) have 2 hours of time.

I'm going to build a pair :)

For anyone who is uncertain of these threads, take my word for it that xrk971's designs (and conclusions) are very consistent, so if he says 'WOW', he really means it!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have foam core.

I have a pair of FaitalPRO 3fe22 speakers.

I (think I) have 2 hours of time.

I'm going to build a pair :)

For anyone who is uncertain of these threads, take my word for it that xrk971's designs (and conclusions) are very consistent, so if he says 'WOW', he really means it!

Hey thanks for the plug. (Your payment is on its way.... :) )

Btw, the 3FE22 is slightly lower Qts so you will need to reduce the volume. It will not have as deep bass extension as the 3FE25. I modeled this driver and the height and depth is 0.40x but width reduce to 0.33x. Your Trynergies won't have any drivers if you do this or did you put 3FE25's there? If so swap them as the 22's are best in the horn and the 25's best in the 0.4x Karlsonator.

Use the single strip score and fold technique. Super fast and super sturdy. One 30in long FC strip will make the back, bottom, baffle. You need separate sides, top, and K aperture.