Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Thanks x and djn. The only thing left to do on them is a few more coats of varnish. I will have to disconnect them so I don't when that will happen :D
So far I have only listened to a Leonard Cohen cd (10 new songs). The sound is very even, smooth and exceptionally detailed. I could even discern the different voices of the back up chorus. Playing with one of my tpa3116 amps and a portable Sony cd player.

cheers

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks x and djn. The only thing left to do on them is a few more coats of varnish. I will have to disconnect them so I don't when that will happen :D
So far I have only listened to a Leonard Cohen cd (10 new songs). The sound is very even, smooth and exceptionally detailed. I could even discern the different voices of the back up chorus. Playing with one of my tpa3116 amps and a portable Sony cd player.

cheers

Awesome! :)
:cool:

Hey x,
I bought 4 of these when they were on clearance at Parts-Express:
Vifa TC9FD-05-16 3-1/2" Full Range Driver 16 Ohm
I see parameters such as Fs, Qts, and VAS are different than the 8 ohm version. Having said that, what's the possibility a 4 of these (2 per cab) would work well in the .53 Mini Karlsonator?
I started a DCR you mentioned in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...mpressive-cheap-fullrange-3-4-low-bass-2.html
Is it possible the 16 ohm would work well in these- 1 per cabinet?
Thanks,
Mike

^ Hi X!

What is the advantage of the .53x over the .4x sonically / sound-wise? Reason i'm asking is; i have a fairly large desk and can accommodate the size of .53x.

How do these speakers perform when placed near the back wall?

Btw, you've done a very good job sharing here your projects. I appreciate your help.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
^ Hi X!

What is the advantage of the .53x over the .4x sonically / sound-wise? Reason i'm asking is; i have a fairly large desk and can accommodate the size of .53x.

How do these speakers perform when placed near the back wall?

Btw, you've done a very good job sharing here your projects. I appreciate your help.

0.53x has deeper bass in the 50Hz range vs 70Hz for 0.4x. Against a wall is best for deepest bass extension so no problem there - you will like the sound. The 0.53x also has advantage of higher sensitivity and more headroom as the drivers in parallel have 91dB sensitivity at 2.83v. If you have room, go with the bigger one. Good luck.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Did you build or purchase the amp? Link?

It would cost you $25 in parts to build this thing. A great sounding amp and a bargain. You need a 12v laptop supply.

Online Shop 15W+15W TDA7297 Rev B dual Channel Amplifier Board AC/DC 12V No noise High Power Free shipping|Aliexpress Mobile

It is class AB which may have advantages if you are trying to avoid noise emission for radio signals.

15W-15W-TDA7297-Rev-B-dual-Channel-Amplifier-Board-AC-DC-12V-No-noise-High-Power.jpg_250x250.jpg

X, thanks for this very helpful info, very favorable to my intended application. A couple questions more if you don't mind:

you've built other enclosures for the TC9FD, how would you compare the MK .53x vs the DCR & others in terms of details & lows?

Based on your findings, which is the best driver you've used for the MK 0.53x/0.4x?

Regards,
Anton

0.53x has deeper bass in the 50Hz range vs 70Hz for 0.4x. Against a wall is best for deepest bass extension so no problem there - you will like the sound. The 0.53x also has advantage of higher sensitivity and more headroom as the drivers in parallel have 91dB sensitivity at 2.83v. If you have room, go with the bigger one. Good luck.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X, thanks for this very helpful info, very favorable to my intended application. A couple questions more if you don't mind:

you've built other enclosures for the TC9FD, how would you compare the MK .53x vs the DCR & others in terms of details & lows?

The dual driver 0.53x has sound that will fill a larger space - great for a small party. The bass and imaging on the DCR is better but bit won't get as loud - really meant for smaller rooms and close range monitor application with moderate SPL's. I have not built this but my guess is that a 0.53x with dual 3FE25 (2x8ohms parallel) will have 97dB sensitivity and could be the cat's meow.

Based on your findings, which is the best driver you've used for the MK 0.53x/0.4x?

Best is always tough to say.

I haven't tried anything other than dual tc9fd myself in a 0.53x. But as I said above, dual 3FE25's may be the ticket.

For 0.4x the 3FE25 is my new favorite. Although TC9FD is a close second for slightly smoother mids.

Regards,
Anton

make the Karlsonator15 the same external bulk as K15 (~7.75 cubic feet) - use a traditional style driver on sale for $199 including the compression driver, make it taller and narrower than K15 and see if the low end can be significantly extended without losing punch.

if you can't get it in the same bulk, then raise it a bit

P AUDIO_BM15CXA

I kind of doubt if Qts is this low but "maybe"

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

WOOFER MODEL - BM15CXA

Low Frequency Specifications

Nominal Basket Diameter

15" / 381mm

Impedance

8 ohms

RMS Power Rating

350 watts

Program Power Rating 700 watts
Frequency Range

40Hz - 18kHz

Sensitivity (1W/1m)

101dB SPL

Voice Coil Diameter

2.5" / 63.5mm

Magnet Weight 100 oz.
High Frequency Specifications

Rated Impedance 8 ohms
RMS Power Rating 40 watts
Program Power Rating 80 watts
Frequency Range 1.5kHz - 18kHz
Sensitivity (1W/1m) 106dB SPL
Voice Coil Diameter 1.75" / 44.5mm
Magnet Weight 3.74 lbs.
Thiele-Small Parameters

Resonant Frequency (Fs) 39 Hz
Impedance (Re) 5.6 ohms
Mechanical Q (Qms) 6.45
Electrical Factor(Qes) .25
Total Q (Qts) .24
Comp. Equivelant Vol. (Vas)
9.09 ft3 / 257.5 Liters

Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 2.75 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) .083 m2
BL Factor (BL) 18.45 T-M

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just an idea that works for me filling the part above driver:
cut a piece of poliester matt same wide and twice long, fold it and push it in.

The poliester get packed very tight at the end, and less above speaker. The felt help to keep it in place, doesn't fall.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.