Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 09:54 AM   #3641
Skylar88 is online now Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Bass Extractor for Karlsonator Speakers

I don’t know if this has been done before, but it does yield very positive results if the angle of the deflector plate is correct. The angle will depend on the height of the speaker and ear height, as well as the distance of the listening position from the speaker. My first guess was 40 degrees from horizontal, but I get a lot more bass when sitting on the floor. That means a slightly flatter angle is required in my situation.

The size of the deflector plate will depend on how much space is available downward or how much you’re willing to raise the speakers if it’s standing on a fixed surface like mine. Revision 2 will have a larger deflector plate (it is 37mm wide atm), as I’m sure that I’m not catching all the sound waves that come streaming down and out the bottom of the K-aperture.

Take measurements, draw it out and get the angle right. And then go and enjoy free bass!

Disclaimer: Please don't expect subwoofer-magnitude bass. This concept boosts bass a bit, but it may not be enough bass for most people's tastes. Unlike a sub, it doesn't create bass from almost nothing. If the music piece doesn't have any or little bass, this gadget will not miraculously give a lot of bass.
It easy to build and cheap and that is what is important for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bass_extractor_beginsel.jpg (125.9 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Bass_extractor_cutouts.jpg (99.4 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by Skylar88; 14th January 2020 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Disclaimer added
Old 14th January 2020, 12:29 PM   #3642
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Great idea Skylar! It could be made of white foam core board as well!

It would be interesting to refold the Karlsonator into an angled back baffle like a parallelogram. It would look cool too.
Old 14th January 2020, 01:14 PM   #3643
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Great idea Skylar! It could be made of white foam core board as well!

The next iteration will be of white foam core, X. And much wider too. This is just the beginning of my experimenting, but I wanted to share it here in case others are also interested.
Old 14th January 2020, 09:28 PM   #3644
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool Skylar ! That should work with some classic Karlson boxes such as K12.

on a different topic, I noticed in regular Karlson type that the upper front chamber reflector size and angle seemed to affect image height and width - would take some experiments and make sure doesn't do something funky such as emphasizing dips.

the Karlsonator having a taller aspect and top vent doesn't seem to behave like the classic K with regards to cavity peaking which can be problematic with smaller K and lower Q drivers.
Old 14th January 2020, 09:46 PM   #3645
tooppy is offline tooppy  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
hi Tooppy - F15's published parameters are screwy - if below is ballpark then should play ok in a classic K15

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks Freddi, I may do that one day ! For the time being I placed them into a Caintuck style OB.
Old 15th January 2020, 06:11 AM   #3646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
Cool Skylar ! That should work with some classic Karlson boxes such as K12.

on a different topic, I noticed in regular Karlson type that the upper front chamber reflector size and angle seemed to affect image height and width - would take some experiments and make sure doesn't do something funky such as emphasizing dips.

the Karlsonator having a taller aspect and top vent doesn't seem to behave like the classic K with regards to cavity peaking which can be problematic with smaller K and lower Q drivers.

Thanks Freddi. Most of that is over my head, except the "emphasizing dips" part. Unfortunately, I don't have a mic, and wouldn't know how to use it anyway. But one day I'll get there.

Having said that, I made the deflector plate much wider now (125mm) and also got the angle right. Apart from added bass, it also affects the soundstage, which is more "dense" in the center than before. The easiest way to describe it is "Karlsonators on steroids". This is the best I've ever heard my speakers sound. But funny thing is, the effect is more noticeable on some music tracks - the ones with more bass.

I suspect that this idea will become a permanent fixture on my Karlsonators.
Old 20th January 2020, 02:20 PM   #3647
Bergarth is offline Bergarth
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhofland View Post
Here's the same plan saved as a Sketchup 2014 file.
I must be the only idiot who cant extract any information from tthese files. Loaded in Viewer and spent 30min clicking around unable to get specs
Old 20th January 2020, 04:56 PM   #3648
diyAudio Member

If anyone has full-detailed build for dual TC9FD's "plywood" plans id be grateful lol-
Old 21st January 2020, 05:03 PM   #3649
Rxdroid is offline Rxdroid  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergarth View Post
If anyone has full-detailed build for dual TC9FD's "plywood" plans id be grateful lol-

Hi

I want to build the 0.53X with the Jhofland plans,
Before I started, I made an exploded view to understand it. In the attached file are the PDFs I use, the measurements are taken directly from the sketchup file. Before starting I advise you to review the measures and contrasts with the other planes and correct possible errors, encouragement with the project and enjoy the music.

Un saludo

Roberto
Attached Files
File Type: zip kalrsonator 53x exploded view.zip (304.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 21st January 2020, 05:24 PM   #3650
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxdroid View Post
Hi

I want to build the 0.53X with the Jhofland plans,
Before I started, I made an exploded view to understand it. In the attached file are the PDFs I use, the measurements are taken directly from the sketchup file. Before starting I advise you to review the measures and contrasts with the other planes and correct possible errors, encouragement with the project and enjoy the music.

Un saludo

Roberto

Thank you, I appreciate it. I am building 7 of them for the bed layer of my HT- I noticed most run these with NO crossover. Im picking up a 0.10Mh coil for each speaker just in case lol.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!