Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2019, 01:28 PM   #3481
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

MrShazBot,
Thanks for sharing your dual 3FE25 Karlsonator build! If you take a sharp utility knife, you can trim and clean up that curved aperture to make it smoother. It will look better and maybe even sound nicer. Otherwise the construction looks good. If you have any pinhole air leaks in the sealed TL end above the drivers, or if the driver gaskets are leaky - you might lose some deeper bass. (In the same way that if you play a flute and you have a small leak on a finger pad, you can’t hit the low C note). I think mine don’t start to fall off until below 75Hz. But if you have a sub, doesn’t matter. Your measurements look great the wiggles in the mid are the nature of the K aperture. But your measurements are surprisingly balanced and neutral. The HF reach is remarkable.
Old 31st October 2019, 02:39 PM   #3482
Mrshazbot is offline Mrshazbot  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I doubled up the K aperture because it was really vibrating and making a slight noise. I couldn’t find my extra blades so I practically had to saw that last piece with a dull blade!

I’m sure I have a leak in the TL somewhere but it’s not a huge deal.

I’ll probably make a wood enclosure for it soon because I really like how it sounds.
Old 31st October 2019, 04:50 PM   #3483
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I think that I'm the one who built the very first dual 3FE25-16 K's and I've been listening to it ever since. Like X says, there is bass down to below 80Hz, but it's always been weak, bass-wise.

Recently I've added an active sub and my Karlsonators came alive - especially the bass. It's like different speakers now. It sounds like the bass is coming from the Karlsonators, not the sub. So, a subwoofer or two with the Karlsonators is highly recommended.
Old 31st October 2019, 06:33 PM   #3484
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

If you have Amazon Prime, a Polk PSW10 self contained 10in powered sub fills the need much more than adequately. I got mine on sale for $99 free shipping. Highly recommended.
Old 8th November 2019, 02:41 PM   #3485
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshazbot View Post
I finally finished putting my dual 3FE25’s together. This project proves that my arts and crafts skills are not very strong as they are very sloppy. I guess that's what happens when I am watching football and not really paying enough attention to straight cuts or the hot glue gun.

That being said, I am rather impressed with how they sound. They do not dig as deep as I hoped. Once they go below 100hz there isn't much left but it's okay, I have a sub to fill it in. I was very surprised how these little speakers can fill up the room with sound. They seem to have more high end detail then my Alpair 10p's, and the measurements confirm that. Sometimes voices seem a bit underwhelming but maybe it's the dip in the midrange on the measurements. I don't listen to much music with signing in it anyways.

Do these measurements look right? Do you see them and see some obvious thing I can do to bring in more bass or have more midrange? Disclosure - I am not a measurement pro and these are not perfect measurement conditions but I think they are close enough to make some observations.

I didn't follow the plans perfectly because I used the fold and score plans for the TC9FD's and just made the baffle (if that's what you call it) big enough to hold my speakers.
I still use my dual 3FE25-16 K's as my main speakers. I love them. Still working on adding a subwoofer, I have one from an old home theater kit and a small class D amp for it, just need to make a low pass filter for it, as the built in one crosses at ~150hz or so and I can't figure out the schematic from the PCB.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!