Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2019, 09:47 PM   #3181
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Very nice!

After a while you'll forget you even made them, they sound so natural. Lovely setup. I'm still itching to figure out the best way to build a budget version with big drivers in the 6~10" range.
Old 15th January 2019, 11:24 PM   #3182
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

(just typed a 15 minutes reply but somehow hit a wrong key and lost it)

I'd like a Karlsonator10 or a really great "K10" (K12 will work well with a lot of 10" woofers/speakers)

On the cheap, BG20 measured well enough in GregB's "Karlsonator8" build by TheJessMan ("Triticum Audio") and that cabinet was really more effective than putting the mediocre 8 into the much larger Karlsonator12.
(A modest helper tweeter could make some good improvement to BG20)

I had Beta10cx in both the Karlsonator12 and a little 0.62 scaled K15. With stock Eminence xover values, its just not good on resolving detail and sounded lackluster. Perhaps Mike Chua's "Osprey" crossover for Beta10cx would make things better.

Karlsonator12 as drawn by GregB tunes to ~37Hz and Karlsonator8 ~41Hz. A somewhat higher tuning might help with some drivers to get more "punch"

I had Nirvana's "Super10" in the Karlsonator12 and it did very well. All of my Nirvana's are out of spec. AN10 (ferrite) started that way - AN8's fs rose a half octave never settling back down to the mid 60's.

John Karlson's Karlson Twelve (commonly called "K12") was tuned small signal to around 63Hz. The first K12 appeared in 1955 and called the "Karlsonette" (as K8 had not yet been introduced). Around 1956, K12's upper port board was canted 10 degrees forwards and used a distributed slit vent - perhaps to better deal with higher Q speakers. When a slit port K12 is driven with sine wave in the vicinity of tuning, many strong harmonics are generated - this doesn't seem to be a problem and even playing a bass guitar through that cabinet will not seem "off" - perhaps a strong/mellow organ pedal or dance sine sweep would show) I called the overtones - distortion - Dr. Geddes said the proper term would be "modulated noise")

FWIW - I like a K12 with Eminence's Kappa12A better than my Peavey FH1 horns. The presentation is quite different between a little K-tube +12K vs a 3-way horn system with Altec 511 as mid-horn - but the little K seems punchier and more definite in attack. A good K-tube can be made from 1" plastic pipe with a half ellipse slot and overall length of 5.3". Also, in some instances with tube on top,
a baffle at the compression driver (or dome tweeter) exit plane could provide some useful reinforcement of the tweeter's low end range. (use felt on top of
the cabinet below the tube to reduce reflections)

I'd appreciate ideas on new Ks. With a regular K, an extra chamber could be added to the top of the front chamber to smooth response and add some effective volume.

In the graph below, Karlsonator12 didn't have a fill in its stub, so there were resonant dips. I'm not sure even if Jesse's Karlsonator8 had much stub damping (?)

Click the image to open in full size.

MMJ illustration - MMJ has a fudge sim for this arrangement in hornresp
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 15th January 2019 at 11:32 PM.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!