Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2018, 08:28 AM   #2741
davetest is offline davetest
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
$55.04 buys Eight shipped - there's a coupon in theory to further reduce the price by 15% but could not find a place to enter it in the test of the checkout - perhaps after the payment info is entered (?)

btw - the full size Karlsonator ("Karlsonator12" by GregB) works well with 12lta, and should work with a number of 12 and 10 drivers. Fb on mine measures ~37Hz so keep that in mind.
Hi Freddi. Are you able to share your coupon code please? I would love to give it a go.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:51 AM   #2742
Ian J is offline Ian J  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Newark (US) = Farnell UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Freddi just ran across what appears to be the spittin’ image of a Dayton PA130-8 from MCM for $8ea. This would be very useful in a Karlsonator loaded with four in series parallel. I think it would be about a full size 1.0x Karlsonator with 97dB sensitivity at 8ohms and 2.83v.

http://www.newark.com/mcm-audio-sele...ker/dp/11C1076
Available from UK site too! Though as they are shipping from US there is a £16 charge. Can get 4 for ~£42 delivered
http://uk.farnell.com/mcm-audio-sele...ieCreated=true
Old 15th April 2018, 02:40 PM   #2743
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I just ordered 8 for $58 shipping included. There were 113 in stock before I ordered so get them while they last.

I hope the T/S params pan out to be close to PA130-8. The magnet looks substantial so should be ok. A four driver K'nator 12 with the highs of a 5in and 97dB sensitivity would be very cool indeed.
Old 15th April 2018, 06:31 PM   #2744
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

105 left in stock now

Good call. I ordered six, along with a dozen each IRFP9240 and IRFP240 for a pass F4 build can't beat the price, especially once you hit $49 for free shipping.

She Who Mothers my Kids has asked me (just last night) to build a pair of K's for her sister, and a little tube amp to match, so the price is definitely right.
Old 15th April 2018, 07:15 PM   #2745
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

You are going to need a Preamp for that F4.
Old 15th April 2018, 07:21 PM   #2746
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

That's why I decided to build the F4, as an excuse to build multiple preamp designs. The current plan is a tube based gain stage based around the Russian subminiature 6N16B, another with the 6SN7, and maybe even going for a dual mono/balanced input config, with my own version of Sy's Impasse amplifier. Easy enough to put a gain of 15~20x together simply with a ton of good designs.

You see, choosing the right projects specifically to justify further/future projects is the way to go
Old 16th April 2018, 01:13 AM   #2747
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
That's why I decided to build the F4, as an excuse to build multiple preamp designs. The current plan is a tube based gain stage based around the Russian subminiature 6N16B, another with the 6SN7, and maybe even going for a dual mono/balanced input config, with my own version of Sy's Impasse amplifier. Easy enough to put a gain of 15~20x together simply with a ton of good designs.

You see, choosing the right projects specifically to justify further/future projects is the way to go
You might want to look into a Preamp I made with AKSA specifically to drive the F4. You need an amp capable of 40vpp to get 25wrms into 8ohms. And to do that on a F4 requires a preamp that can get 40vpp with low noise and low distortion, and have a nice harmonic profile similar to SET - not crazy odd order harmonics up to H9 at max power. Real simple 5 actives nothing unobtanium.

Design here:
AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp Output

GB here:
AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp Ouput GB

Last edited by xrk971; 16th April 2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 16th April 2018, 07:30 AM   #2748
davetest is offline davetest
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Freddi just ran across what appears to be the spittin’ image of a Dayton PA130-8 from MCM for $8ea. This would be very useful in a Karlsonator loaded with four in series parallel. I think it would be about a full size 1.0x Karlsonator with 97dB sensitivity at 8ohms and 2.83v.

http://www.newark.com/mcm-audio-sele...ker/dp/11C1076
Hi X. Could a single one of these drivers work for a smaller K? What size enclosure do you think I might try. I intend to buy 8 for a big pair, but wondered if it would be fun to try a couple of single driver units allong the way.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:58 AM   #2749
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

A single PA130-8 works beautifully in a 0.53x K’nator. One of my favorite speakers of all time. Keep in mind these are MCM made and probably similar to PA130-8 but no guarantees until I get one and measure it. But price is so low at $6 ea when buying 8 it’s almost a no brainer.
Old 16th April 2018, 02:08 PM   #2750
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

here's a really beat MCM 5 over 10 years old in a paper mache reflex cabinet with no damping material vs a little Karlsonator. The "Eyes" on the head were the ports

http://i.imgur.com/gBsaHMu.gif

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD'sHide this!Advertise here!